Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

**NEW here opinions needed** Patternmaster code black thoughts?

Started by BigGare, February 13, 2018, 10:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGare

Hey guys so I'm new here. Looking for some guidance. I've been reading for a few hours and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I've got an 1187 3" about 5 years old. I've killed birds with it my girlfriend's killed birds with it. Great gun I'm looking for a new choke and ammo combo and i was looking at the code black by pattern masters or the striker by Patternmaster. Anyone ever used these? I currently use a tru glo that's a few years old and I'm not really super happy with it. So there's my first question.

Next ammo. I've played with all kinds of ammo but not in depth just ran a few rounds through my gun over the year and just chose whatever shot best for me that year but now I was to get serious and be able to shoot 40 yards confidently.  I've read good reviews on the long beard xr and that's what I'm leaning towards but I want to hear your guys opinions and see your results of your test. Like I said I've been reading but can't find exactly what I've been looking for. I'm open to hear anything you guys have to say.

Thank you in advance!

BottomLand54

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: BigGare on February 13, 2018, 10:11:25 PM
Hey guys so I'm new here. Looking for some guidance. I've been reading for a few hours and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I've got an 1187 3" about 5 years old. I've killed birds with it my girlfriend's killed birds with it. Great gun I'm looking for a new choke and ammo combo and i was looking at the code black by pattern masters or the striker by Patternmaster. Anyone ever used these? I currently use a tru glo that's a few years old and I'm not really super happy with it. So there's my first question.

Next ammo. I've played with all kinds of ammo but not in depth just ran a few rounds through my gun over the year and just chose whatever shot best for me that year but now I was to get serious and be able to shoot 40 yards confidently.  I've read good reviews on the long beard xr and that's what I'm leaning towards but I want to hear your guys opinions and see your results of your test. Like I said I've been reading but can't find exactly what I've been looking for. I'm open to hear anything you guys have to say.

Thank you in advance!

:welcomeOG:

welcome.

i have a remington 11-87 sportsman, i run a sumtoy .650 choke with 3' hevi 13 magna blends 2oz of 5,6,7 shot. i get very good patterns, i mean nasty hunting patterns.

i do not know about pattermaster as i do not shoot ported chokes unless its an indian creek just my thoughts on things.

you are going to get allot of feedback, i do believe there is allot of better chokes for that gun instead of the chokes listed thats my opinion.

william lambert with sumtoy customs can be reached on here and does paypal as well. his name is sumtoy and on your home screen is his number and link in top left corner.

i would also reccomend some tss which is the latest greatest thing being offered to you on the shelf now.  you should soon see some federal tss but 12 gauge i think tss is overkill but i do have some. i like the magna blends out of my 11-87 it just shoots great and right now they have a killer mail in rebate program you can save money.

Spitten and drummen

:welcomeOG: personally if its in you're budget , get a Indian creek , jebs , or sumtoy. Thats my opinion. The choke you listed may be awesome , I have no idea as I never have tried one. The 3 I mentioned are not a gamble to pick up. I know william at sumtoy will even swap chokes out to help you find whats best for you. Good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BigGare

Do you have any patterns of the Indian Creek? I'll look around on the forum and online. What ammo do you guys recommend

dejake

You haven't done your research.  There is tons of information on this sight.

taylorjones20

Here's a link for some great chokes for the remington guns in the classifieds.  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,78904.0.html

I'd imagine either the .660 or the .665 would do good in that gun.

Ammo - Cheap - LongBeard XR #5  -  I'd say the .665
Ammo - Better - Hevi Shot MagBlends   -  .660
Ammo - Best - TSS - Either Apex Ammo or Federal's new TSS   -  Either .660 or .665

:z-twocents:

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobble!

I wouldn't get a Pattern Master. Call Indian Creek. They win NWTF shooting competitions year after year for a reason. Awesome customer service also.

For shells in order from best/most expensive to good/least expensive - TSS #9s (Apex Ammunition), HeviShot Hevi13 #7s, Winchester Longbeard #6s.

Deast1988

My buddy has an A400 pattern master code black .665, his gun cooks with long beard #4 180s at 40yds 3.5in. The code black in my experience patterns longbeards better then most. He only occasionally turkey hunts so could care less about tss or hevi shot prices. I've seen him smoke a few with the code black longbeard combo no issues.

BigGare

Good to hear about the code black. I started looking into the Carlson chokes and Indian creeks and I'm most definitely going to shoot the long beard xr as long as I can find them in stock somewhere. Thanks for all the advice so far

taylorjones20

Not saying the code black won't serve you well but I've only owned one and it failed and caused a ruined barrel on my sx3... There are cheaper alternatives and better options IMO.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

BigGare

Thanks for all the input. Currently looking into all options. I looked into sumtoy but by reading the websites the chokes are very specialized for certain ranges and even though I do want to be able to shoot 40 confidently I also don't want to be missing at closer ranges as they say you are very likely to on there site

BigGare

http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/choking-winchester's-long-beard-xr Indian River is definitely in the running. Probably going to go with it or and Carlson for the xr. The only thing that's a big factor is that my brother had a versamax shots thousands of shells through it. Huge waterfowl Hunter and he bought a choke from Carlson's for hunting waterfowl. Not even 50 rounds later the end of the barrel blew apart at the threads on one side and he believes it was because of the choke and I would have to have this happen on my own gun

jdoster

I shoot a PM code black in my Maxus. I have been very pleased with the results shooting mag blends. It provides a great hunting pattern and has been very effective for me.

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: I shoot an old Browning Gold 3.5 with a Code Black using #5 Longbeards. I will never change that set up. Just my experience. Good luck, Al Baker

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."