turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Follower

Started by Swampfoxforeman, February 08, 2018, 05:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampfoxforeman

Is it worth upgrading my 870 20gauge  follower? I was also thinking of upgrading my 835 follower; would it even be worth it?

Greg Massey

I'm old school and i don't really understand what your asking... if your asking if it's worth up grading your 20 gauge, that's up to you...I built a 20 gauge turkey killing machine for a youth 20 gauge ...

Swampfoxforeman

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 08, 2018, 08:21:31 PM
I'm old school and i don't really understand what your asking... if your asking if it's worth up grading your 20 gauge, that's up to you...I built a 20 gauge turkey killing machine for a youth 20 gauge ...

The Mag tube follower is what I'm talking about.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Swampfoxforeman on February 08, 2018, 08:44:05 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 08, 2018, 08:21:31 PM

The Mag tube follower is what I'm talking about.
Most are made from plastic and they really don't give that much of a problem. Now some of the metal one are suppose to be slicker with less friction .. If you feel it will give you extra security then i would say change it out..but really it's not necessary most people never see a difference ...

Spring Fever

I wouldn't if it's not broke.
Never had a problem on my Rem 20 but it's only a turkey gun and I don't shoot a lot of rounds out of it.
Now if we were talking my duck/dove gun I might do it for pm purposes.
Just my opinion

Buford

If the shell hangs in the magazine tube and can not be picked up or lifted up into the chamber for a second shot, then you just let a hard earned turkey walk away. By the time you stick your finger into the magazine to unstick the shell, the turkey is gone. Better to clean and clean the magazine tube before the season starts and find any problems before they occur including the follower. Had two hang ups with my 11-87 twenty gauge while chasing bushie tails last summer. I'd been hot under the collar if it had done that while turkey hunting.      Buford :newmascot:

CrustyRusty

S&J makes a real nice Delrin follower.  My defensive guns were all updated with these.  I have had problems with the new Remington followers in some of the 870P shotguns and think the delrins are superior.  They also have relief grooves built in. 

Some of my older wingmasters have metal followers and have been flawless over thousands of rounds but unfortunately aren't made any more. 

Izzyjoe

I've only had one follower that give me problems, and it was a 500 mossy. On the last shell fired the follower would stick, I guess the recoil would wedged it in place, and you had to rap it with something to be able to load the mag tube. And I probably could have fixed it, but for $20 for an aluminum tactical version, I was not messing with it. But that being said my dozen of other shotguns have the original followers, cause they have never offered to fail. Funny thing is I never knew they made replacements for them till I had problems with the mossberg, go figure! But what ever makes you good, if it bothers you change it, there not that expensive.