OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

930 vs Affinity 3

Started by TJK68, February 08, 2018, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJK68

Pretty much always been an 870 guy, but looking at getting a semi-auto turkey killer. Narrowed it down to either the 930 or the Affinity 3, and both offered in Bottomland which I want. They both have "26 barrels, don't know much about either, except one costs $300 more, lol.... From those that know them, give me your opinions. Thanks

SKFOOTER

BrowningGuy88

If you can swing the cash, the Affinity hands down.

howl

You can wear a 930 out just carrying it around. The trigger group with elevator will get loose in the receiver. It'll take a while. And they're not real expensive. Personally, I wouldn't want any auto for turkey hunting if the elevator lay outside the receiver.

The Affinity is an inertia gun. Set one down butt first on the floor with a little extra force. Watch what the bolt does. If it does that in the woods, but doesn't return to seat fully, you might get a click instead of a boom.

Overall the Affinity is a better shotgun, just not one for turkey hunting.

sevetts

If you want just a turkey shotgun then get a weatherby sa459 turkey!

Oconeeguy

If you like the feel of a Remington, like I do, try a 11-87. I have a couple and they just won't stop working. I still have a Rem 1100 the I got in 1970 and still shoot clays with !!  Try a Rem Semi out

BottomLand54

Affinity 3

drilled and tapped to fit weaver 93a base, so that means your options are unlimited concerning optics, also you can get bottomland :character0029: :fud:

Greg Massey

Quote from: howl on February 08, 2018, 02:59:32 PM
You can wear a 930 out just carrying it around. The trigger group with elevator will get loose in the receiver. It'll take a while. And they're not real expensive. Personally, I wouldn't want any auto for turkey hunting if the elevator lay outside the receiver.

The Affinity is an inertia gun. Set one down butt first on the floor with a little extra force. Watch what the bolt does. If it does that in the woods, but doesn't return to seat fully, you might get a click instead of a boom.

Overall the Affinity is a better shotgun, just not one for turkey hunting.
Really i didn't know this about the Affinity. That's not good at all ... I've always been a pump gun guy myself for turkey hunting...

the Ward

Yea, if you bounce an inertia gun hard enough on its butt, it will bounce the bolt in and out. That is how an inertia gun works. Doesn't do it as easy if there is a shell in the chamber.Not a good practice to slam any loaded gun down on it's butt though. The new sbe 3's and the ethos have a redesign to keep the bolt from popping out of battery, don't know if any other inertia guns have this feature or not. It's really a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

BottomLand54

I have never ever had any problem out of any inertia Gun dropping them in the dove field and when the doves come in boom bang..... I know tons of guys Around here who throw em around in the duck blind and boat and when the ducks come boom bang. I don't know where some folks come up with some
If this stuff lol it's so funny. I don't care what you buy. I have mossbergs, Remington's, franchi, benelli, have owned a Weatherby SA-459 extra green (Chinese junk), Thompson center encore, New England firearms, etc.

Nothing is as reliable as my inertia guns or as clean shooting. I've had every other gun to jam at some point or another but never an inertia Gun.

Every manufacture has produced a lemon and always will because they are man made. If I were you I would go feel the guns and see what fits you best. Throw the gun up to your shoulder quick and see how fast you can get on target. Find out if you like the feel, look, and swing of the Gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

It's called the "Benelli click".  Never had it happen to me with my SBE II, but my stepson who wouldn't quit messing with the bolt handle in his layout blind when I would let him use it would get at least 2 a season.  If you bump the butt or pull the charging handle back and don't let it slam forward,  it can allow the bolt to remain out of battery.   As far as the 930 wearing out, I have literally NEVER heard such a thing.  It's a fantastic gun for the money-soft shooting, drilled and tapped receiver, overboard barrel that will almost always out pattern the affinity (and most "spaghetti guns actually ).  Too many guys knock the mossberg autos.  The 9200 was a true piece of crap.  The 930 IS NOT the 9200 and I have never seen one come back to my shop with an issue when I sold them and I have seen guys beat the ever loving crap out of theirs with not a hiccup.   Make your own choice but don't listen to the haters just because they hate.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

TJK68

I Grouse hunt and have some O/U inertia guns, I know this is a different animal, but I have never had a problem with them. I also no that the 930 and 935 are tough guns, a lot of folks around here have them. I was more interested in how they pattern, chokes, shells, and shoot, both are fine guns. I have felt both and both feel nice, with the Affinity being lighter. I know there are haters, lol.... this is not the only forum I belong too. I appreciate the answers, and I am leaning towards the Affinity. Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming.
Tom

knightrider

I own two pistol grip 930's and three regular stocked 930's as well, never had a single hiccup or problem from any of them!!! I wouldn't trade mine for any other brand its just what I like :z-guntootsmiley:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: TJK68 on February 09, 2018, 09:32:47 AM
I Grouse hunt and have some O/U inertia guns, I know this is a different animal, but I have never had a problem with them. I also no that the 930 and 935 are tough guns, a lot of folks around here have them. I was more interested in how they pattern, chokes, shells, and shoot, both are fine guns. I have felt both and both feel nice, with the Affinity being lighter. I know there are haters, lol.... this is not the only forum I belong too. I appreciate the answers, and I am leaning towards the Affinity. Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming.
Tom

If all you're going to do is run a decent choke and some longbeards then either will pattern well.  The 930 in my experience,  professional and personal will be next to impossible to beat patternwise.  They just take less fussing with to get fantastic patterns with loads OTHER than LBs and I would put my 930 up against about any spaghetti gun out there including my SBE II that throws great hunting patterns.  I also GUARANTEE those more expensive guns took a lot more work to get to pattern even close to as well.   Buy what you want but for a purpose built turkey gun, the 930 gets my nod every single time.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

the Ward

Just was in the local gun shop today, they had a 930 turkey sitting in the rack. I checked it out and was surprised at how light it was. They look heavy in pictures but it really was not. It had a set of adjustable fiber optic sights and a factory extended turkey choke. Also was drilled and tapped for optics. All in all it was pretty nice gun for the price range, I think it was $599 or so? If I was in the market for a ready to go turkey gun it would make my short list.