OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

slings

Started by Long Beard 2372, February 11, 2011, 07:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Beard 2372

What is everyone's favorite sling and why? I am looking at buying a new one for my 835 and I would like to get one that doesn't slip easily. That has got to be one of the most annoying things that happens when you are slipping through the woods.
Honesty is my only excuse...

CASH

My fave sling is a $9.95 Allen sling from Wally World that I can no longer find.  Bummer.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Odessa

I bought a new one recently for my Benelli waterfowl gun - it wouldn't work on their concave style of magazine cap, so I put it on my Browning BPS turkey gun.  It is named "The Claw" and cost $22.00 in olive green (camo patterns were more).  It is a solid type of synthetic and grips well to the shoulder.  I haven't hunted with it yet, but in trying it out in the yard it works well.  In this picture it is on the camo shotgun.

"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

TnHunter

I also use the Claw on my 870 and it works well while slipping through the woods.
Life is good today

PANYHunter

x3 on the claw.  Have it on all my guns

vaturkey

Vaturkey

chrisun

John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Skeeterbait

mine started life as Browning Xcellerators.  But they have been customized into side attach tactical slings.  This way you wear the gun all the time leaving your hands free.  The gun can be slid from your back to your chest and fired without ever having to take the sling off your shoulder.  The gun is worn with the barrel down at all times.  the sling goes over your left shoulder and under your right arm when the gun is across your chest.  The gun lays flat on your chest or back.

pullit

M,Yingling

I use the allen neoprene ,, and few from uncle mikes
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Long Beard 2372

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 11, 2011, 08:23:10 AM
mine started life as Browning Xcellerators.  But they have been customized into side attach tactical slings.  This way you wear the gun all the time leaving your hands free.  The gun can be slid from your back to your chest and fired without ever having to take the sling off your shoulder.  The gun is worn with the barrel down at all times.  the sling goes over your left shoulder and under your right arm when the gun is across your chest.  The gun lays flat on your chest or back.

skeeter they sound awesome but would they work with a ATI adjustable pistol grip stock? I have been checking the claw out guys and it sounds as though that maybe one of the top choices.
Honesty is my only excuse...

PALongspur

Another vote for the Claw.

The Butler Creek Comfort Stretch is a good one too.

Hognutz

The Claw. It is the best that I have found. It will not slip off of your shoulder. Period. And there is nothing more annoying than a gun that you have to keep adjusting, while your walking in/out with your hands full..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Skeeterbait

I think it could be made to work but not without customizing.  Using ATI's Optional cheek rest, then attaching a picatinny rail to the mounting screws.  Then using a picatinny sling swivel it could be made to work.  You would have to drill your own matching holes in a rail.  May be more trouble than you are interested in.  I just like tinkering with stuff like that.

Highknob

I use the Claw also. I wish it was a bit lighter. If you use it on a rifle still hunting and have a quick shot the movement of the sling moves the gun a bunch. I've used the Allen and other neoprene and I had one of those to tear loose where the neoprene is sewn to the leather. Almost dropped my rifle in a rock bar.
There's one made of rubber that looks like it would be really good. It has double straps and can be worn like a backpack or together like a regular sling. Non slip like the claw, but light weight. Only problem is i haven't seen one below $35. I just can't seem to make myself pay that much for a piece of rubber. http://www.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/RifleSlings_Shotguns_Pinckney_MI.html

Now you have my .02 on slings