OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nomad turkey vest

Started by RiverRoost, February 05, 2018, 02:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Received mine. Pocket layout is ok. You can't see what is inside them without opening them. Dang striker holders are too shallow. Put a standard striker in one and it will not close. Pot call pocket has a snap. Well made but too many negatives. They should have field tested it and fixed these things. Cannot get over the striker pockets being too short. How does that even happen?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Coop1082

What strikers did you try S&D? Mine wouldn't snap closed all the way with two strikers in each pouch but would with only one in each. I only tried Lymans. With two the strikers basically held themselves in there without needing the magnet but I know where your coming from. The biggest thing for me so far is the snap on the pot call pouch. Going to have the wife do a quick fix on it for me though. Everything else I'm actually pretty pleased with.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

JHoyle

Got mine today as well. I really like the layout of the vest but.....the pot call storage is insufficient. Don't like the snap either. There is one deep pocket on the inside, all others are shallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I tried my Derrick Stuckey and my Fred cox strikers. If they would have just mad them 1/4 longer it would have been better. I always carry at least 6 strikers so that's really annoying.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Coop1082

I figured it was Stuckey's I didn't try his but I only assumed they wouldn't fit. I agree though. A 1/4 inch and they are perfect. They do easily hold 6 of Bill's strikers for what it's worth. I only run Bill's strikers so I guess I got lucky in the striker area department. Certainly some areas for improvement. Saying that though I could pick apart every vest in existence with things that should change. Everyone likes a different flavor. Rewind 3-4 years ago when I really got hot and heavy into the "custom call" scene and I would have laughed at this vest. Fast forward to today and it's ideal for me with just a few little tweaks I would make to it. I'm ready to see a review on the new Ol' Tom in the same layout. I eyeballed that one hard but I'd be lying if I didn't say the greenleaf camo made me pick the Nomad.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

buzzardroost

Wondering if just a standard two piece striker like from Gooserbat, Houndstooth, etc would fit well?

Coop1082

That's what the striker holders were probably designed for buzzardroost. The design is meant for the entire striker to fit in and the flap folds over and attaches with a magnet. Most of your one piece strikers probably aren't going to fit ideally. They will hang over and the magnet almost attaches sideways with one in there. If you'll scroll down in the general forum here I did a video review of the vest earlier. It'll give you a bit of a better idea I think.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: buzzardroost on February 07, 2018, 08:05:04 PM
Wondering if just a standard two piece striker like from Gooserbat, Houndstooth, etc would fit well?

2 piece strikers fit fine. I am not trying to be critical but I just would think a 1/4 linger would have made a universal fit for my strikers. My wife is going to cut the flaps off and add some material to adequately hold the striker and line up magnets. Don't know if anything can be done about the snap on the pot call pocket. It is really thick and would be hard to make a loop and hook.  I am keeping the vest and modifying it somewhat. Any ideas on the pot call pocket as far as changing out the snap would be appreciated.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

SKFOOTER