OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What other birds do you hunt?

Started by idgobble, February 04, 2018, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

Quote from: compton30 on February 05, 2018, 01:27:42 PM
I'm getting myself a pointing pup this year come hell or high water. Final candidates are a Brittany, GSP, or a English Pointer. Leaning one of the latter two. Couldn't be more excited.

My EP ranges out 1000 yards sometimes.  Not many GSPs range that far.  I have a Garmin Astro tracking collar on both dogs.  Only problem with an EP is I'm often saying to myself, "Darn!  I hope she doesn't find any birds way up there!"  I've had her stay on point 50 minutes 'til I got up to her.  Real good dog!

paintbrush

Grew up hunting Ruff Grouse, an occasion woodcock and ducks here in MN. Had lots of ducks but very few geese here in the 70's. Now the grouse numbers are way down, the ducks have shifted their flight patterns mostly into the Dakotas, but the geese numbers are way up. Pheasants are the most fun for me to hunt now, other then turkeys of course! Still chase after ducks and geese with my son and grandson some and go out on an occasional grouse hunt. I've got 2 labs that love their bird hunting.

Marc

Waterfowl is my passion...  Primarily ducks, but a few geese get brought back by the dog as well.
I shoot a lot of dove and pigeons...
I really enjoy hunting valley quail, and usually chase mountain quail at least once a year.
I generally shoot a handful of pheasants each season.
I hunted and shot a few snipe this past season when the duck hunting was slow (one of my favorite birds to eat).
And of course...  Turkeys.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hobbes

Sorry.................couldn't resist.

IMG_20180113_114956_242 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
IMG_0267 (2) by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
IMG_0274 (2) by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

I have two WPG's and one GWP.  We mostly hunt pheasants in the fall/winter, but throw in the occasional sharpie/hun in early fall.  Mountain grouse are occasionally killed with a bow while elk hunting.  I plan to do a little waterfowl hunting with the youngest WPG (middle photo) this year.

Kassie
20171013_093953 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
20171013_104942 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Finn
IMG_0097 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
20171215_210748 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Cash
20171116_115938 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
20171209_161302 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Mathews
20171006_113506 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

compton30

Quote from: idgobble on February 05, 2018, 08:18:47 PM
Quote from: compton30 on February 05, 2018, 01:27:42 PM
I'm getting myself a pointing pup this year come hell or high water. Final candidates are a Brittany, GSP, or a English Pointer. Leaning one of the latter two. Couldn't be more excited.

My EP ranges out 1000 yards sometimes.  Not many GSPs range that far.  I have a Garmin Astro tracking collar on both dogs.  Only problem with an EP is I'm often saying to myself, "Darn!  I hope she doesn't find any birds way up there!"  I've had her stay on point 50 minutes 'til I got up to her.  Real good dog!

That is impressive! If you hunted a dog out to a 1000 yards in Central PA, it'd be a panicky situation! The more I look into EPs the more impressed I become.  I have breeders lined up for the GSPs and EPs, and the reason the Brittany is included is because I may be able to get a pup or two for free from my old man's best buddy. I've hunted with those Brittany's since I was legally able to hunt. He's not a breeder by any means, but I don't need a piece of paper to tell me a dog is talented. These dogs have actually probably become awesome hunters despite their owner haha. With some improved obedience and training I think they could become excellent hunting companions. Regardless of breed, I'm just excited because I love dogs and it'll give me another excuse for the Mrs. to get back out hunting!

idgobble