turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What other birds do you hunt?

Started by idgobble, February 04, 2018, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

I have an English Pointer and a Pudelpointer (google it). Both very good.  We mostly hunt chukars and Huns with quail and pheasant hunts whenever we can fit them in. Been hunting chukars for 35 years and they're my favorite bird to hunt and eat. I live in a NW state where we also have very good grouse hunting and I usually hunt them early in the season before chukars open.  Our grouse are Ruffed, Blues, Spruce and Sage.  Sharptail hunting is pretty good about 200 miles from where I live but the limit is 2 a day so I don't often go after them.  Maybe take a 3 or 4 day trip for them every few years.  I try to get the dogs out hunting at least 50 days a year.  I'm starting to research a bobwhite quail hunt for next Fall.  Maybe CO or Kansas.

Gooserbat

Ostrich is on my bucket list.  Tss #6!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gobble!

Greg Massey

Happy

May want to rethink that Greg. I watched an old boy take on an emu in hand to hand combat. It didn't turn out well for him. Alcohol may have been a factor.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BottomLand54

I enjoy bat hunting in the summer over the swimming pool with my red Ryder B.B. gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I've always wingshot. Where I live most of the stuff is propagated. Pheasant, quail, chukar, have shot huns, over my shorthairs and waterfowl of varying sorts but that's been a couple years. One time I was way into it though.
Wish we had some ruffed grouse in the state anymore. Haven't seen one or heard one in years. As a kid they were everywhere. Loved hunting them. Greatest upland bird there is!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2018, 09:05:10 AM
May want to rethink that Greg. I watched an old boy take on an emu in hand to hand combat. It didn't turn out well for him. Alcohol may have been a factor.
No Happy, everyone has said if you shoot it with Tss , it don't even flop ...It's like hitting a bird with a 50 caliber round...

owlhoot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2018, 08:44:26 AM
Quote from: Gobble! on February 05, 2018, 08:11:12 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 05, 2018, 02:57:16 AM
Ostrich is on my bucket list.  Tss #6!

I'd stick with the #9s  :z-guntootsmiley:
I want to shoot one with 410 using 9.5 Tss
Tss 6's    Heck that's a pterodactyl load!

dutch@fx4

I hunt a lot of wood ducks on the home farm.snd Canada geese at times. Small creeks with irrigation ponds make great jump shooting for ducks

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2018, 10:35:43 AM
Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2018, 09:05:10 AM
No Happy, everyone has said if you shoot it with Tss , it don't even flop ...It's like hitting a bird with a 50 caliber round...
Maybe so but that poor, unfortunate fellow that tied into one was wishing it didn't flop. I for the record was completely sober but found it extremely amusing. That bird opened a semi truckload worth of butt woopin on him.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

idgobble

Quote from: Bowguy on February 05, 2018, 10:28:47 AM
I've always wingshot. Where I live most of the stuff is propagated. Pheasant, quail, chukar, have shot huns, over my shorthairs and waterfowl of varying sorts but that's been a couple years. One time I was way into it though.
Wish we had some ruffed grouse in the state anymore. Haven't seen one or heard one in years. As a kid they were everywhere. Loved hunting them. Greatest upland bird there is!!
One of my greatest pleasures is hearing Ruffs drumming while on my Spring turkey hunts.  I've even watched a few drumming and was thrilled one day to have one walk by me, jump up on a log and start drumming.  I moved a little, he noticed, stopped drumming for a minute then started again. I hear them almost every day in a few places I hunt. I grew up in VT and loved hunting them there.  I'm surprised how many there are in the NW.

compton30

I'm getting myself a pointing pup this year come hell or high water. Final candidates are a Brittany, GSP, or a English Pointer. Leaning one of the latter two. Couldn't be more excited.

Bowguy

Quote from: idgobble on February 05, 2018, 01:00:31 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 05, 2018, 10:28:47 AM
One of my greatest pleasures is hearing Ruffs drumming while on my Spring turkey hunts.  I've even watched a few drumming and was thrilled one day to have one walk by me, jump up on a log and start drumming.  I moved a little, he noticed, stopped drumming for a minute then started again. I hear them almost every day in a few places I hunt. I grew up in VT and loved hunting them there.  I'm surprised how many there are in the NW.
God bless ya! Wish they were here

Rapscallion Vermilion

Dusky grouse (blue grouse) in September, scaled and Gambel's quail November into January, ducks in January.  KS pheasants once or twice a season.  Grew up in western Massachusetts hunting ruffed grouse (partridge there) and woodcock.  Miss that.