turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Freedom Group/ Remington

Started by SinGin, February 02, 2018, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

Does anyone one know when Freedom Group bought out Remington? The quality of guns has gone down since they were bought, and I figured I would just try to by guns pre Freedom Group

Greg Massey

It started around 2008 ...  With Remington shotguns , i haven't seen that big of a decline in the guns..But a different story with the budget rifles made by Remington ...

Double B

Cerberus bought out Remington in mid 2007.   You want before that date if you buy one.  Old Remingtons are solid.  New Remington stuff, dice roll imo.  Agree w Greg on the rifles.
Followed by buzzards

Gobspur

I think its hit or miss.  I have several Remingtons from the 70's/80's and they are solid.  I also bought a new 870 supermag in 2012, and it seems just as solid and has never had a hiccup.  However, I've heard about the quality issues in newer guns.

taylorjones20

Maybe this will help...

In June 2007, a private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington Arms for $370 million, including $252 million in assumed debt. Remington was millions of dollars in debt and did not report a profit during the years 2003–2005.[14] It was renamed as the Freedom Group.

In December 2007, Remington Arms acquired rifle-maker Marlin Firearms.[15] As of 2009, ammunition sales continued to remain high during the ongoing United States Ammunition Shortage. Chief Executive Officer Ted Torbeck said that consumer concerns over future restrictions, and taxes on ammunition and firearms by the Obama administrations, were creating a rise in demand.[16]

In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired suppressor manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation.[17]

In 2010, Remington introduced the fastest commercially available shotgun shell, Hypersonic Steel, with a patented wad technology that allows the shot to travel at 1700 FPS.

After a 12-year absence in the handgun market, Remington announced the Model 1911 R1. It had ceased production in 1998 of its last handgun, the Model XP-100R. Later that year, Remington introduced the Versa Max auto-loading shotgun. Its patented Versa Port system self-regulates gas pressure based on the length of the cartridge used, enabling the shotgun to shoot light 2 3/4" target loads, 3" hunting loads, and 3 1/2" magnum hunting loads.

In 2012, Remington won the U.S. Army contract to manufacture 24,000 M4A1 carbines at $673 per unit worth $16,163,252 total.[18]

In 2013, Remington introduced the Model 783 bolt-action rifle. The engineering team started from scratch and designed advanced, accuracy-enhancing features to create an all-new rifle.

In 2013, for the first time since 1928, Remington began to offer an air rifle, called the "Remington Express".[19]

In 2015, the Freedom Group holding company was renamed as Remington Outdoor Company.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Greg Massey

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 06, 2018, 09:06:36 AM
Maybe this will help...

In June 2007, a private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington Arms for $370 million, including $252 million in assumed debt. Remington was millions of dollars in debt and did not report a profit during the years 2003–2005.[14] It was renamed as the Freedom Group.

In December 2007, Remington Arms acquired rifle-maker Marlin Firearms.[15] As of 2009, ammunition sales continued to remain high during the ongoing United States Ammunition Shortage. Chief Executive Officer Ted Torbeck said that consumer concerns over future restrictions, and taxes on ammunition and firearms by the Obama administrations, were creating a rise in demand.[16]

In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired suppressor manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation.[17]

In 2010, Remington introduced the fastest commercially available shotgun shell, Hypersonic Steel, with a patented wad technology that allows the shot to travel at 1700 FPS.

After a 12-year absence in the handgun market, Remington announced the Model 1911 R1. It had ceased production in 1998 of its last handgun, the Model XP-100R. Later that year, Remington introduced the Versa Max auto-loading shotgun. Its patented Versa Port system self-regulates gas pressure based on the length of the cartridge used, enabling the shotgun to shoot light 2 3/4" target loads, 3" hunting loads, and 3 1/2" magnum hunting loads.

In 2012, Remington won the U.S. Army contract to manufacture 24,000 M4A1 carbines at $673 per unit worth $16,163,252 total.[18]

In 2013, Remington introduced the Model 783 bolt-action rifle. The engineering team started from scratch and designed advanced, accuracy-enhancing features to create an all-new rifle.

In 2013, for the first time since 1928, Remington began to offer an air rifle, called the "Remington Express".[19]

In 2015, the Freedom Group holding company was renamed as Remington Outdoor Company.
Yes and Marlin firearms and like 9 other guns company's are own by the Freedom Group...

Waynesworld23

I have an 870 super mag with a 21 inch barrel I bought in 2015 and other then a stiff action have not had a problem with it it is my dedicated turkey gun and has done a great job don't know about their other shotguns but the 870 is still going I know they have had trouble with the 700 but I wouldn't buy one anyways I love my model 70 to much
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

KentuckyHeadhunter

Isn't George Soros somehow affiliated with Cerberus or Freedom Group??? 

Nevermind I looked it up.  Apparently was a rumor proven to be false. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Waynesworld23

Don't know if he is but it will be the last turkey gun I own for a while it has been faithful to me two springs and 8 birds
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Double B

Cerberus/Remington also bought and killed off H&R single shots.  I didn't like that.   >:(

Soros connection was a rumor, dont think its true.
Followed by buzzards

SinGin

Quote from: Double B on February 06, 2018, 06:29:08 PM
Cerberus/Remington also bought and killed off H&R single shots.  I didn't like that.   >:(

Soros connection was a rumor, dont think its true.

Ya that stinks. No more $100 single shots with quality

SinGin

The thing that bugs me the most on newer Remington's is the absolutely stupid plastic trigger gaurd. That seems like the last place you would want to skimp on cheapness is that, just ruins the overall quality on the guns.
I bought a new 870 in 12 gauge and a new 700 in 308. The guns shoot and function fine but the overall fit and finish isn't there any longer

KentuckyHeadhunter

A little off topic but you just can't get these anymore.  The first thing I ever saved up and bought with my own money at 10 years old.  $68 hard earned dollars at K-Mart.  Circa 1984 H&R Topper model, 20 ga modified. A rabbit, squirrel, grouse, and deer (slugs) killer.  The case hardened finish make these so classic. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

SinGin

Old Gobbler

People are a little hard on remington on the quality

The fact remains is that they offered models like the 1187, 30years ago at 500$ and kept that price point the same for all those years .... so to speak in today's money that's $1,115 dollars , so remington has appeased the customer base who wanted a reliable American auto or pump for entry level prices and no longer gravated towards premium prices they and browning concentrated on 40 to 50 years ago , yes the quality on fit and finish isn't there on some models but,... the customers are getting a good value

Beretta group and its subsidiaries, and numerous other manufacturers have really amped up the product development...those benellis are really nice

Hopefully remington continues to keep the newer autos like the versamax and V3 coming and win back some market share
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon