OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Darrin Dawkins boxes

Started by DBRANNON, February 01, 2018, 12:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBRANNON

I'm getting ready to place an order for a short box and paddle from Darrin. I have an all walnut short box of his and I absolutely love it. I wanted to get some opinions on combos and maybe some pictures y'all have for a new short box and paddle call. What wood combos do y'all like for the short boxes and long boxes?

Here is a picture of the all walnut box.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Patience, grasshopper.

3bailey3

I have a mahogany and black walnut short box that is Awesome!

hunter22

I have 4 of Darrin's short boxes and I hunt a walnut over mahogany most of the time. Close second is a walnut over butternut. But you cannot go wrong with anything from Darrin.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Agreed his walnut over mahogany is just awesome.  But I got a walnut over poplar "original design" at Unicoi that rivals it.  It's not checkered and looks more "field grade" but it's absolutely dynamic in sound.  You can't get a bad call from Darren ever!  One of my all time favorite callmakers and just a great guy. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

3bailey3

KY headhunter what is the top call?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 01, 2018, 06:44:36 PM
KY headhunter what is the top call?

Longbox is cedar over butternut.  It's a weapon of mass destruction. 

DBRANNON

Ordered a walnut/mahogany grooved side short box and a cedar/poplar shorty paddle.

Patience, grasshopper.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: DBRANNON on February 01, 2018, 06:47:16 PM
Ordered a walnut/mahogany grooved side short box and a cedar/poplar shorty paddle.

You have killers for life.  Let us know how you like em and don't get too much blood on them!

nitro

I have a fair number of boxes I have accumulated over 40 years of turkey hunting and custom call collecting.. there are about 5 men who make calls that I know will be consistent as to sound and tone.

Dawkins is one of them.
Royal Slam 2008

KentuckyHeadhunter

And you should add one of his stoned aluminum pot calls in the plastic pot.  You'll be very surprised.

DBRANNON

He did mention that stoned aluminum pot, I have an aluminum in walnut so I may add one of those to it. Love his pots too.
Patience, grasshopper.

Happy hooker

Does he still do the double checkers boxes,,I haven't seen any for a while

mgm1955

Congrats to all. Some fine boxes!!

Spitten and drummen

My walnut over mahogany is in the mail. 3rd box from darrin and won't be my last. He makes a great box.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoder409

I've got a walnut over mahogany 20-check Dawkins that is, probably, one of the most awesome running, sounding and looking calls I own.

Darrin has an unmatchable ear for tuning and his fit & finish are #1 among ANYONE that's ever built a Cost-style box.

He's just one HECK of a nice fellow, too !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.