OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TK 2000 / Hevi Shot

Started by Longshanks, April 16, 2011, 04:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Limited out on turkeys so im trying to find something to do while im not guiding.  Been shooting The TK2000 with a Knight shot shell and the foam wadding that goes on top.  110 grains of   Triple 7and lead 6's.  Great pattern at 35yds but im wondering if i can get something going a little better with Hevi Shot.  Anyone out there shooting hevi shot out of a TK2000 that can give me some advice??

dpittman

I am shooting 2oz HEVI in a TPS wad with PSB buffer and it shoots real good but I have a custom choke on it. Using 105-110 gr GOEX 2F.

SR1

Who did you have make the choke for you?
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

dpittman

It is the factory jug choke bored out for 10 ga chokes. I am using Kicks 10 ga gobblin thunder 705 and 695.

Longshanks

Interesting..so you just put the threads in the factory choke?? Never thought of doing that..

SR1

Never would of thought of doing it that way thanks.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

joey46

Glad to see more TK2000 info trickling in.  How does that 110 gr of Triple 7 work out?  My Knight book recommends 100 gr as the max with 777.  When I used 90 gr of GOEX the kick was enough for me but I do intend to go higher next test session.

Longshanks

The 110 with the Triple 7 patterns the 6's really well but blows the pattern with 5's for some reason.  I am shooting the Lawrences Chilled lead shot and have not tryed copper plated or hevi shot. Trying to get the most velocity i could without blowing the pattern.  Killed a turkey at 35yds but havn't tryed anything further than that.

njdevilsb

Could somebody tell me what the manual says the maximum load is for the TK2000 please?  I still have some more testing to do with my ML shotgun, but once the summer gets here I might grab a TK2000 depending on what I get my gun to do.

dpittman

loading procedure for me is this:
1. 105-110 gr 2F GOEX (volume)
2. fiber OP wad (trying to eliminate melted wad fouling)
3. 3"TPS wad (I flare the gas seal as far as it will go on a hard surface so it seats around the OP wad
4. 2oz #6 HEVISHOT
5. 25 gr PSB buffer (serious PITA but seems to really improve patterns Just pour in a littla at atime and then tap with rod until it disappears and repeat. be careful your shot does not come over your wad petals. A small penlight helps a lot.
6. Styro-foam OSC (I cut them from meat trays. I use a 12 ga hull with the plastic removed to punch them out. The brass is pretty sharp and works well.
Barry, I need to get my wife to show me how to post pics so hopefully I will have some to show you. The jug is too big for 12 gauge chokes that is why I am using 10 ga. I am using tru-choke system because all the others are too long (in barrel) to work. There is more work to it than that because of the jug taper you have to match with the choke taper.

dpittman

I shot my TK today and it just seems to be getting better with every shot.
Shot a 229 in 10" @40 with HS#6. Total pellet count was 464 so that is right at 50%. I have never been able to achieve that even with my 870SM H13 PG670

Longshanks

The info that i recieved with my TK2000 NWTF edition.( several years old) is the maximum is supposed to be FFg black powder or equivalent  100-120 grains.  The T7 im shooting has FFg on the can.  I have read that you should decrease the load by 15% with T7 compared to black powder.  If thats the case Im shooting about 8 grains over recommended.  Doesnt seem to cause a problem and the pattern is still tight.  My thinking is that if i go hevi shot with a different shot cup that creates a better gas seal i might want to back off to around 100grains.

joey46

I've only had my TK for a few weeks so my manual is new.  Page #32 says:  Black powder, and industry approved black powder substitutes. (Maximum Powder Charge 120 grains by volume). recommended max 100 grains, when using T7.

Also - page #15 - use lead shot only with the supplied choke.  I believe mine is an x-full.

Just noticed there is a new Muzzleloader Shotgun section in this forum.  Give it a look.  It is starting out a little weird.

Longshanks

Thanks for the update on the newer manual.  I was looking at the percentages and 120 grains minus the 15% should put it at about 102 grains.  I will probably just go ahead and drop down around 100.  Probably improve the pattern and hopefully wont give up much velocity.  Better safe than blown up.. :z-guntootsmiley:

I am still questioning whether or not its a good idea to shoot Hevi Shot through this choke.  Think i will just shoot lead and call the turkeys close.

mnbirdbuster

I hope that now that the tk2000 is back in production that it really takes off :anim_65: A friend and i have been using an original on and off for years, and just started tinkering with the new ones! Its very convenient to use the shotcups in these guns, but dont shy away from the original way of loading a muzzleloading shotgun either! The jug choking system needs something to work with, loose shot in the barrel will follow the contour of the barrel better than when loaded in a shotcup! Our best load has been: 90-100gr T7 ff, an over powder card, a lubed 12ga felt wad, 1oz #6/ 1 1/4oz #4 or #5 shot, over shot card! The #6 acts like a buffering within the shot string, and fills in any gaps in the pattern! We use old school drop shot lead! it sounds like alot i know, but with userd film canisters, etc the components are easy to carry afield!