OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Short box or Long box?

Started by aclawrence, January 21, 2018, 03:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

I live in Minnesota but if I lived in the next state over from Georgia,,I would drive over to Lonnie Mabry s house in GA and for exactly $150 you could get a short box AND a longbox of superb quality and value that you would treasure forever. Not to mention the personalized instructions you would get on a visit to his house.
It lists you has a junior member but if you have a way to get there it would be worth it.

aclawrence

Lol. Is the Jr. member an age thing?  I'm 35. I think I read in one of the threads where Mabry was in Rome, GA. Is that right?  I've been there once before to some kind of campus. I was doing worship for a Fellowship of Christian athletes thing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Look up SS custom calls. His field grade boxes are prob in your range. Jr member I think is being a newer member with low post count.

aclawrence

Thanks I'll check them out. I thought that's what it meant but I wasn't sure bc of the find a way to get there comment.

Greg Massey

Quote from: aclawrence on January 22, 2018, 09:46:53 AM
Thanks I'll check them out. I thought that's what it meant but I wasn't sure bc of the find a way to get there comment.

SEE you only have one nut...because of number of post...

Chris O

Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 21, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
I would not mess with a scratch call just starting out. I would purchase a short box call and a glass pot with three to four strikers of your choice but one should, in my opinion, be black locust. Black locust will play on almost anything and is easy to use. Finally, while I like listening to sound files I would only purchase a call that I could personally play first. I would be looking for a call that is user friendly and very forgiving. Then practice it alot.

Many on this site and others are selling good calls that they play well but lacking their experience it may be difficult to duplicate. I frequently go to gun shows or sporting events, where vendors are demonstrating their wares to purchase calls. They will also provide plenty of free advice and demonstrate their calls while providing instruction. Just my two cents but I got tired of buying calls only to end up selling them on e-bay because I could not get the right sound.
yes I agree to start I would have a pot call and a short box. I was stating that for around 75$ you could probably get a short box and a scratch box. If you sit down and really practice with a scratch box in a couple weeks you will be good enough to call in turkeys. But yes don't pass on the short box or the pot call to get the scratcher.That is what I was meaning in my first reply.Have fun buying calls

callmakerman

Long box will do it all in the right hands and if your worried about the call being to long then contact Marlin Watkins for one of his Turkey Trot boxes. Shorter more like a do dat call but loaded with many turkeys. This call has become one of my favorites for paddle calls. Ipe/Limba combo.

wvmntnhick

I've got several box calls and more pot calls than I could use in our short season. Having said that, I tend to gravitate towards the same handful of pot calls when using one. Personally, when talking box calls, I'm generally carrying either an SS, Spring Creek or Mabry box. Don't care which one I've got in the vest because they all sound great. Only long box I've got is a Mabry and it's wonderful as well. Spring Creek and SS are easier to obtain tho. Long boxes do take up significantly more space so I'd lean towards the short box personally and the long box only comes out during fall hunts when a kee-kee is needed.

As for pot calls, I'm a Yingling fan. Tend to pull out one of Mike's calls first and that's honestly about it. I'd wait to catch one of his glass, slate or brass pots. Those are the ones I use most often and the birds here seem to respond well to them.

aclawrence

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 22, 2018, 10:16:03 AM

Is this an attack on my manhood? One nut? Lol

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 22, 2018, 04:01:12 PM
I've got several box calls and more pot calls than I could use in our short season. Having said that, I tend to gravitate towards the same handful of pot calls when using one. Personally, when talking box calls, I'm generally carrying either an SS, Spring Creek or Mabry box. Don't care which one I've got in the vest because they all sound great. Only long box I've got is a Mabry and it's wonderful as well. Spring Creek and SS are easier to obtain tho. Long boxes do take up significantly more space so I'd lean towards the short box personally and the long box only comes out during fall hunts when a kee-kee is needed.

As for pot calls, I'm a Yingling fan. Tend to pull out one of Mike's calls first and that's honestly about it. I'd wait to catch one of his glass, slate or brass pots. Those are the ones I use most often and the birds here seem to respond well to them.

Thanks. Those makers definitely seem to be popular here among the forum. I'm sure I'll end up with some of their calls. I think I will start with the short box and start looking at pot calls.

Greg Massey

Quote from: aclawrence on January 22, 2018, 04:34:01 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 22, 2018, 10:16:03 AM

Is this an attack on my manhood? One nut? Lol

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 22, 2018, 04:01:12 PM

Thanks. Those makers definitely seem to be popular here among the forum. I'm sure I'll end up with some of their calls. I think I will start with the short box and start looking at pot calls.

Not on your manhood, we just have a lot of people asking about why the nut, as you posted more the nuts will increase..

aclawrence

So the more I post the nuttier I get. Hmmmm. Haha

Ol Yelper

Get in touch with Al and Josh at SS. They can fix you up with a great short box, Kwila/Butternut a good choice, and they've just got back in to building some pot calls. Talk to Al about what he thinks will serve you best, slate or glass. SS calls sound great are easy to run, and are at a good price. You will be very pleased.

greencop01

I go with a long box, more sound (loud) and sounds. The length of the lid and box provides many different turkeys, and it is more versatile. Like everything else, it takes practice. It is all in the ear of the beholder, and the Tom ! Even if you don't buy a call, I would go and spend an afternoon and hang around with Lonnie Mabry. Some of his knowledge of turkeys and callin' will rub off on ya.  :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

aclawrence

I'll definitely have to plan a trip to GA one day. How old is Mr. Mabry?

SwampRooster17

When I made a trip to his shop a couple of years ago I think I remember him saying he was in his 70s