OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Shot

Started by batsonbe, January 06, 2018, 10:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batsonbe

With deer season coming to a close and turkey season right around the corner I'm already thinking about adding some new decoys to my spread this year and possibly switching ammunition. I would really appreciate insight from those who have used TSS vs Hevi shot vs Long Beards or just lead in general.

I shot Hevi 13s for years #6's and then #7's (275 in a 10" @ 40yrds). I then switched to Nitro company 4x5x7's (never measured how they performed), and last year I shot long beards #6's. I gave up on the Nitro company because I believe my gun put 264-270 in a 10" @ 40 yrds with the long beards.

Absolutely nothing wrong with how my gun is performing currently. Im just thinking about the density of the shot in correlation to the penetration of the shot. If TSS is that much greater than everything I would rather be sending 450-520 toward a turkey than 275 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

Thank you all

Happy

Believe me. I am a huge fan of overkill. That being said there is a point where you are spending money for nothing. 10 pellets in a turkeys head vs 20 still means he is dead. I shoot hevi shot and it is strictly for my piece of mind. Only you can decide where the line price wise is but if you keep things reasonable then you don't need to spend a ton of money. I haven't killed a turkey yet that I wouldn't have killed with lead but I feel really confident pulling the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

Well I'll ruffle feathers with this but...I shot win HV#6 for almost 20 years then feed hw7 now tss#9 back in the Winchester days I shot 3.5" shells.  I now shoot a 2oz (light load) 3" shell.  I can be tell you this my effective range is increased by over 50%.  Simple truth is I can change chokes for hunting woods and have a 20" pattern a 20 that still putts up 40+ yards worth of pellets or I can use my jebs and kill one in the wiggle room range.  If you don't want to load your own both Apex and Nitro are good options. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gobble!

I use to think the HeviShot 2.25oz #7s were the best shell out there. Was getting patterns in the 320 at 40 yards. Then hey changed components and patterns went down hill. Still more than good enough to kill birds at 40 yards all day but I like over kill and enjoy counting holes. I switched to Nitro. Patterns were on par with the original HeviShot shells so I was happy. After spending a season in my vest and going in and out of my gun I noticed the seals were cracking and the shells were leaking buffer bad. Still have one that sounds like a baby rattle. At that point I decided if I was going to spend $5 or $7 a shell I might as well spend $10 a shell and get the best I can.

I now use 2.5oz of TSS #9s. Total over kill, 500 in the 10" circle with another 300 in the 20" circle. Most people will load TSS for 20 gauge guns and still out perform Nitro 12 gauge heavy shot shells. Plenty of .410s have been turned into 40 yard guns with TSS.

batsonbe

Very tempting, I am a numbers guy too when it comes to patterning and in a 10" circle. I'm going to give nitro a call tomorrow and likely get on board with the TSS. It's not quite as expensive as I was expecting. Typically it's a 1 shot one kill deal with turkey, so I'm not worried about the price.

Gobble!

Apex Ammunition is a company I would recommend.

batsonbe

How do they compare to the nitro company?

MK M GOBL

Can't help you with the TSS, but I can with the decoys :)

DSD & Done!!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.msg691675.html#msg691675

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

Quote from: batsonbe on January 07, 2018, 06:47:06 PM
How do they compare to the nitro company?

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the shells I got from Nitro. Nitro has never been know for customer service. The guys at Apex are a great group and they produce some great shells. Most of them hand loaded their own before starting the company.

batsonbe

I plan on getting the DSD!
I'll reach out to apex for some information tomorrow. I plan on placing an order tomorrow with either company. Just have to get some stuff figured out.

Gobble!

Quote from: batsonbe on January 07, 2018, 09:37:29 PM
I plan on getting the DSD!
I'll reach out to apex for some information tomorrow. I plan on placing an order tomorrow with either company. Just have to get some stuff figured out.

If you need any help getting a hold of Apex let me know. FB friends with one of their reps, very good and knowledgeable guy.