OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Right Time Right Place

Started by chadly, January 04, 2018, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Late season, public land, and bird counts down this year.  This was a real treat.  Hunting late season roosters is similar to late season turkeys.  Its tough.  It was 5f when I left the truck.  I walked about fifteen minutes when my dog got birdy.  A few hens and a rooster flushed out of range.  I stood and watched as the dog worked and marked where the rooster went.  About a minute went by and twenty yards in front of me up came two cackling roosters.  I dumped the first quick and my gun would not fire for the second.  The first empty was hung up and sticking half out of the action.  I grabbed it and tossed it and cycled another round.  I drew on the second rooster who was making a big circle around me and gaining distance and dumped him too.  My season could end now and I would have loved to have ended my season like that.  I amazed myself how quick I reacted.  I stood there in awe as my dog brought the birds back.  I walked another ten minutes and my dog goes on point.  I walked in to flush and fill my limit of birds for the day.  Twenty five minutes had passed and this was my quickest limit of the year.  On the way back to the truck my dog flushed four more roosters.  I think I'm going to go back one last time before season ends.  Thank you Lord for the blessings of the day. 

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats and those are very tasty......

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

the Ward

Jolly good show! I have many fond memories of hunting pheasants on days like that with my late bil. Beautiful birds and beautiful dog!

Devastator

Quote from: tomstopper on January 05, 2018, 04:18:23 AM
Very nice. Congrats and those are very tasty......

yep,and make sure ya give some of the tastey stuff to the hardworker,
they deserve it!!

idratherb

great story and no greater pleasure then doing it with a pooch

chadly

[/quote]
yep,and make sure ya give some of the tastey stuff to the hardworker,
they deserve it!!
[/quote]
Yup.  I've, against the wisdom of great dog trainers always fed the heart and lungs to my dog.  His eyes are on me hard when I'm cleaning.  He wants his portion.  Pheasant is one of my favorite meals regardless of how its cooked.  My wife made a marinade and put the birds in for an afternoon soak.  Tonight we had a wonderful stir fry.  I could eat them daily. 

Gobble!

wvmntnhick

Congrats man. I'd love to live near some good bird hunting. Wild birds that is. Not these pen raised pigeons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

Very nice winter roosters can be a challenge. I love seeing a good dog work.

mgm1955

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: chadly on January 04, 2018, 10:52:46 PM
Late season, public land, and bird counts down this year.  This was a real treat.  Hunting late season roosters is similar to late season turkeys.  Its tough.  It was 5f when I left the truck.  I walked about fifteen minutes when my dog got birdy.  A few hens and a rooster flushed out of range.  I stood and watched as the dog worked and marked where the rooster went.  About a minute went by and twenty yards in front of me up came two cackling roosters.  I dumped the first quick and my gun would not fire for the second.  The first empty was hung up and sticking half out of the action.  I grabbed it and tossed it and cycled another round.  I drew on the second rooster who was making a big circle around me and gaining distance and dumped him too.  My season could end now and I would have loved to have ended my season like that.  I amazed myself how quick I reacted.  I stood there in awe as my dog brought the birds back.  I walked another ten minutes and my dog goes on point.  I walked in to flush and fill my limit of birds for the day.  Twenty five minutes had passed and this was my quickest limit of the year.  On the way back to the truck my dog flushed four more roosters.  I think I'm going to go back one last time before season ends.  Thank you Lord for the blessings of the day.

Chadly...love the pic!  I'm a die hard grouse hunt myself!  It's been a tough year....started of with a week up in the north woods as we always do and have for many years.  Hunting was tough up there this year and back home in the mountains also.  But I absolutely love it like I do turkey hunting and go weather the season is going well or not.  I hunt setters and have for years.  Beautiful dog and awesome job on the pheasants!!

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase