OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Doubled Spurred Gobbler!!

Started by MK M GOBL, January 04, 2018, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So nothing too unusual to find me working on turkey fans, wings, beards and spurs at this time of the year. But during the process I found out one of my last 2 birds of the year (I doubled on these birds) has something very unusual! I have a set of spurs from a double spurred gobbler!! I will post pictures of this, but during the cleaning process I noticed a small bump at the top end of the leg at the spur base, looked at its match and seen the same. I did not recognize these "spurs" (very small button dots) to begin with, I took some time slowly cleaning them and yup telltale sign it is a spur (spur caps on them). Quite a unique bird!! I will post pics soon as I have them cleaned.

MK M GOBL

sbbow

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNCTracker

That's really cool. I've never seen that. Waiting for pucs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

So here they are! "Double Spurs" small but I'll take them :)

These sets of spurs were birds that were a double, one thing I have noticed over the years is how genetics play a game in how spurs look. I have spurs from several different farms that tend to have certain patterns to them, as you can see in these. The color patters come through the spurs after cleaning and polishing. I have also noticed that when I/we have killed "Doubles" that the birds would seem to "brothers" that have never split up, as they are of same age structure.

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

tomstopper

Very cool. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

the Ward

Almost looks like a tooth in side profile. Can you imagine if it would have grown out to full size? Two big ole spurs, he would have been the baddest hombre in his neighborhood! Very cool, thanks for sharing!

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

batsonbe

VA_Birdhunter

That's pretty cool MK!   Very unusual...I've seen a few via picture but never in person...congrats !!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Hook hanger

Very rare for sure! I have taken birds with no spurs and on that same farm seen one taken that had double spurs 1.5" with 3/4".

mnbeardbuster

Congrats!!

I was able to double on these 2 KS birds in 2016.  Both sported double spurs.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: mnbeardbuster on January 08, 2018, 09:06:44 PM
Congrats!!

I was able to double on these 2 KS birds in 2016.  Both sported double spurs.

That's awesome!! X2

MK M GOBL

3bailey3

I am a UPS delivery driver in a rural area and one day a older man answered the door and I saw some fans on his wall and I asked him about them and he invited me in and showed me the first double spurred bird I had ever saw, he said he had it registered with the NWTF and not far down the road one day a lady opened her door in a small home and there was a mount of a flying gobbler  solid white bird, I ask were her husband killed it and she said right behind the house!

TauntoHawk

Killed one a few years back, pretty cool and rare trophy. I mounted the whole leg and foot bones so I could put them on a shelf

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>