OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hens this time of year

Started by blake_08, January 02, 2018, 09:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Hello all,

I'm an avid shed hunter, so i've been running trail cameras in my area to watch the bucks and see when antlers are hitting the ground. I've never put corn and feed in front of cameras before, all of my previous camera experience has been minerals, so i never got many pictures of turkeys before. Having said that, i got a lot of pictures of a flock of hens a few days ago, which brings me to my question. This flock of hens has 10 birds in it, all of them look to be the same size and same appearance. It had me wondering if these hens are all old hens, or if any of them were born in the summer. I don't know how big a hen born in the summer should be by now, but I was expecting a size difference in younger birds. I'll try to post a picture or two.

blake_08

My camera is aimed too high. The stick i had shimming the top fell out somehow.

blake_08

Happy

By now last year's female poults will be almost as big as an adult hen. Would guess you are looking at a mixed flock of hens and last year's poults.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

Looks like the possibility for a jake or two in the bottom right corner. That's my take and maybe I am wrong

blake_08

I sure hope you're right. Our turkey population is having a hard time and i was fearful that out of a flock of 10 hens, none of them raised poults. I'm hoping some of these are from the 2017 hatch but I don't know how big a hen born in 2017 should be by now.

Happy

Looks like the bird in the upper left is a tom. Or a heck of a bearded hen. Had for me to see it clear on this old phone.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Happy is correct.  During deer season you may see huge flocks or large groups that look like all hens.  In fact many of those will be jakes come spring.  They all kinda look the same now but act very differently if you watch them.  They may or may not even be in that area come spring.  For your sake I hope so!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on January 02, 2018, 10:30:35 AM
By now last year's female poults will be almost as big as an adult hen. Would guess you are looking at a mixed flock of hens and last year's poults.

x2

Greg Massey

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on January 02, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
Happy is correct.  During deer season you may see huge flocks or large groups that look like all hens.  In fact many of those will be jakes come spring.  They all kinda look the same now but act very differently if you watch them.  They may or may not even be in that area come spring.  For your sake I hope so!
x2