OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 29, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
I load my own but if I hadn't invested in material and tools I'd be shooting Apex most likely.  To me it makes little sense not to.  We spend coin on calls, gas, camo, boots, chokes, and time so why skimp on shells.  In the end our ammo is the connection between us and the bird.

I doubt your stash is any bigger than mine. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Farmboy27

I load my own but if I hadn't invested in material and tools I'd be shooting Apex most likely.  To me it makes little sense not to.  We spend coin on calls, gas, camo, boots, chokes, and time so why skimp on shells.  In the end our ammo is the connection between us and the bird.
You and I are definitely from different schools!  Lol. I'm from the penny saved penny earned school.   I don't justify paying out the butt for shells by comparing the money I spend on other things. I don't spend much( if anything) on calls most years. I buy boots when needed and use them for all my hunting, not just turkey. I don't chase numbers so chokes aren't a factor. And while the ammo might be the final connection between us and the bird, the woodsmanship and the calling is what made that connection possible!  Strive to be good at the core aspects of this "game", and don't worry about chasing numbers on paper or whether your gun patterns as well as the next guys.  If you really feel you need or want to use the expensive stuff, then do it!  But don't try to justify it to those of us who don't need it or want it! 

KentuckyHeadhunter

Everyone is right.  As long as they kill turkeys cleanly, ethically and legally.  I don't like other people hunting with me usually so why do I care what products they choose to do their OWN thing.  Nothing will change turkey hunting, turkey behavior, or your success as much as experience, woodsmanship, and plain old luck. 
I'll stick with my LB XRs in 3" and #6 shot.  It works. For me.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Gooserbat

Quote from: Farmboy27 on December 30, 2017, 06:44:50 PM
You and I are definitely from different schools!  Lol. I'm from the penny saved penny earned school.   I don't justify paying out the butt for shells by comparing the money I spend on other things. I don't spend much( if anything) on calls most years. I buy boots when needed and use them for all my hunting, not just turkey. I don't chase numbers so chokes aren't a factor. And while the ammo might be the final connection between us and the bird, the woodsmanship and the calling is what made that connection possible!  Strive to be good at the core aspects of this "game", and don't worry about chasing numbers on paper or whether your gun patterns as well as the next guys.  If you really feel you need or want to use the expensive stuff, then do it!  But don't try to justify it to those of us who don't need it or want it!

I'm actually probably closer to your way of thinking than you realize.  I don't wear the latest greatest camo, I don't own 4 turkey vest for different hunting conditions, sure I do have a small collection of chokes but I'm apt to trade one for something else.  I don't own a single decoy because woodsmanship does kill turkeys.  And I do shoot tss not because I'm trying to be better than anyone who shoots lead or any other load but because I simply want to.  I hunt for me not for anyone else.  Sure I build a lot of calls and I enjoy sharing the success of others.  I guide a few guy each spring and I have guys who show up with superX lead #5, longbeards, Hevi shot, tss, and Remington nitros.  I only ask two things.  Does your poa coincide with your poi and do you know your effective range.  I don't care if it's 30 or 60.  Just know your limits, sit still, and let's have a good hunt.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Quote from: fallhnt on December 29, 2017, 09:39:32 PM
Looking forward to trying it in my .410.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sure will be fun taking the .410 out! Have to get some for that.
As for the 20 gauge  I have enough Hw7 to last a very very long time and it works just fine.

captpete

I won't be switching to TSS. I bought the wife a new 20 ga. last year and will have it set up for The HW7's. She isn't an experienced hunter or shooter. I want it shooting a good, even hunting pattern at 35yds., but not so tight at 15 that she could easily miss. I know I can probably do this with lead shot, but want the fuller/denser pattern that 7 shot provides. We only turkey hunt one week a year. It's bad enough paying $4 a shell for the HW7, let alone the higher price of the new TSS shells will cost. I am going to stock up on some more HW7 and if nescessary switch to Hevi 7's... they shot just as good as the HW7's in the old gun.

As far as boots, camo and stuff like that, I'm kind of like Farmboy27. I wear my deer hunting boots for turkey hunting. I've been wearing the same turkey hunting camo for 8 yrs.(it was retired from deer hunting so it's closer to 12yrs old) and this will be the 5th year for the wife's camo.

fountain2

These prices are nothing new.  Any of you shoot nitros?  They have been priced like this for dang near 20 years

2eagles

Quote from: marshboy on December 29, 2017, 05:53:45 PM
I'd try them at the range.
Here in Iowa, I believe that any shot size smaller than 7.5 is not legal. 
Greg

Can use 8's. Copied from DNR webpage.

Archery equipment as de ned on p. 40,
and 10-, 12-, 16- and 20-gauge shotguns or muzzleloading shotguns shooting number 4, 5, 6, 7 1/2 or 8 lead or nontoxic shot. Number 2 or 3 nontoxic shot may also be used. Hunters may not have shot sizes other than those listed above on their person

marshboy

Double B

I checked Indiana regs and 7 1/2's are the smallest size allowed here.
Followed by buzzards

mwr

No need too....Longbeard#5 work great for me..

Dr Juice

Not here. My old school Rem 11-87 does well with HS 5,6,7s and my Win SX3 does well with Win LB #4s.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

born2hunt

I will be trying them just as soon as they hit the shelves.
I pretty much share Gooserbat's opinion, with all the time, travel and $$$ I invest each spring, 10 bucks a shot to have the best odds possible is just another drop in the bucket. I just hope they come out we'll in advance of season.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

TauntoHawk

I'll probably whine about the cost but still end up at least trying them for the 20 not the 12.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>