OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 issue

Started by buzzardroost, December 24, 2017, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

Quote from: MK M GOBL on December 27, 2017, 07:39:34 PM
You didn't mention if you have a scope on the gun or not, but I have seen some B-Square type mounts on guns put on and make the gun action not work...

MK M GOBL
Interesting. When I bought this gun, it had a B square on it. I took that off. It worked fine for quite a few shots after that but of course now there's the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

I really believe I have this figured out but not sure how to fix it. I believe the previous owner way overtightened the B square that was on it and it compressed the receiver some. I believe that's why it's hanging. When I put just the b square screws in it and leave them loose, it functions much better.

captpete

Odd that it functions with the loose B-square screws and not with factory pins. Maybe the factory pins are tweaked and causing the trigger assembly to bind??

buzzardroost

Quote from: captpete on December 28, 2017, 07:29:49 PM
Odd that it functions with the loose B-square screws and not with factory pins. Maybe the factory pins are tweaked and causing the trigger assembly to bind??
Just to clarify, it doesn't function perfectly, just functions a lot better with the loose screws in it. I've sent it off to a gunsmith now to see if he can figure it out.

Swenny

Keep us updated.  I'm curious to see if you can get this resolved.

Go G.W.

Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 25, 2017, 10:48:03 AM
Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 24, 2017, 07:55:58 PM
I've had trouble with mine too in the past, mainly low brass. There's a gas seal (sleeve) that has to be place on a certain length shell... 2 3/4 I think and needs to be removed on the other 3 1/2 maybe. Also there's a large o-ring that may be leaking gas. Buy some wolf magazine springs... I keep one just for low brass. Also they like to run dry, real dry.

Something else I forgot to mention that happened with mine. I over tightened the magazine cap, which hindered the shell from clambering.

I had trouble with my 11-87 from the moment i got it; it was brand new.
After much aggravation and trouble shooting I found mine to have the same issue. If I loosen the magazine cap a couple clicks it will run like a top, tighten it all the way down and it will not feed at all.

buzzardroost

At the moment the gunsmithnis wanting to purchase a new trigger group but isn't sure that'll fix it. I just don't know.

silvestris

My best guess is the trigger group or a bent receiver.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

THattaway

The magazine cap thing has got to be some clearance issue in the forearm binding on the slide rails. Maybe that the over-tightening is twisting the forearm around slightly. Loosening a tad might be keeping it centered to properly. My son's 20ga has had some rare phantom jams in the past and this is a problem I have not heard of before. Warrents a little investigation on his gun. Thanks
Quote from: Go G.W. on January 02, 2018, 08:18:14 PM
Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 25, 2017, 10:48:03 AM
Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 24, 2017, 07:55:58 PM
I've had trouble with mine too in the past, mainly low brass. There's a gas seal (sleeve) that has to be place on a certain length shell... 2 3/4 I think and needs to be removed on the other 3 1/2 maybe. Also there's a large o-ring that may be leaking gas. Buy some wolf magazine springs... I keep one just for low brass. Also they like to run dry, real dry.

Something else I forgot to mention that happened with mine. I over tightened the magazine cap, which hindered the shell from clambering.

I had trouble with my 11-87 from the moment i got it; it was brand new.
After much aggravation and trouble shooting I found mine to have the same issue. If I loosen the magazine cap a couple clicks it will run like a top, tighten it all the way down and it will not feed at all.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles