OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Something different

Started by Gooserbat, December 21, 2017, 08:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Looking for a nonresident hunt for 3-4 guys.  Something different, maybe two or three states.  Any ideas.  I'm already hunting KS and TX along with my home state of OK.  Any suggestions for about 4 turkey hunters?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cove

Hunting KS, TX and OK it seems like anything with trees would be something different.  :toothy9:

So there's lots of options. . . dates would be big factor, is that flexible?

TauntoHawk

Agreed go east and hunt some timber easterns it will be a whole lot different. Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky come to mind as places you could chase em in the hardwoods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

buzzardroost

Hunt some mountain Eastern birds. East TN. North GA. East KY, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paintbrush

How about chasing Merriam's in the Black hills of SD., SE.Wyoming, and NW. Nebraska.   That gives you 3 states to hunt in, but the terrain is similar in all 3 states in those areas, and they are all fairly close together.

Devastator

Quote from: buzzardroost on December 21, 2017, 01:34:58 PM
Hunt some mountain Eastern birds. East TN. North GA. East KY, etc.

PA,NY also!!

Greg Massey

For Tennessee look at LBL ....it has some great turkey hunting and you can stay at a Motel in Dover or they have camp grounds...you just have to spray down for seed ticks ...but you can read all about that....part of LBL is in KY and Tenn....great turkey hunting ....  LBL...is Land Between the Lakes... you can talk to some people about it while your in Nashville...

Chris O

Quote from: paintbrush on December 21, 2017, 09:01:40 PM
How about chasing Merriam's in the Black hills of SD., SE.Wyoming, and NW. Nebraska.   That gives you 3 states to hunt in, but the terrain is similar in all 3 states in those areas, and they are all fairly close together.
I agree I would love to do this

Yoder409

Quote from: Devastator on December 22, 2017, 04:46:56 PMPA,NY also!!

You'd hafta be a REEEEAL glutton for punishment to drive from Oklahoma to hunt public land PA birds.............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

JK Spurs

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 23, 2017, 10:02:40 PM
Quote from: Devastator on December 22, 2017, 04:46:56 PMPA,NY also!!

You'd hafta be a REEEEAL glutton for punishment to drive from Oklahoma to hunt public land PA birds.............
Yeah no kidding!!
I like my turkey well peppered

wdog

Buy some late season tags for Wisconsin... That 4th and 5th season in mid- late May is my fav... shoot yourself some big ol Midwestern easterns

wvmntnhick

If ur wanting to see some rough terrain and get into some birds I'd recommend looking into the stonewall Jackson WMA in WV. Lots of land to spread out on and I do mean lots. The hunting is pretty good because access is difficult in most places. Plus there's the Burnsville WMA not far away. It's easier going but you don't have as much land there either. By the time you get back to the truck, one leg may be longer than the other.

Yoder409

Quote from: wvmntnhick on December 24, 2017, 08:14:49 PMPlus there's the Burnsville WMA not far away. It's easier going but you don't have as much land there either. By the time you get back to the truck, one leg may be longer than the other.

Haha !!!

I can show you a place at Burnsville that defies your "easier going" description.................

The hill across the dam is so steep a cat can't get traction on it and mountain goats go around...........  LOL !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gooserbat

Thanks.  I have hunted MO almost every year for the last 13 seasons.  Time to do something else. Already done Wisconsin.  Honestly KY/TN/OH sounds good.  So does NE/WY/SD.  I ought to go to FL and try to finish up the Slam.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

HookedonHooks

I would say Florida for your slam, otherwise do NE/SD/WY. You'd basically take the states you're already hunting straight on up.... If you were real crazy you'd do WI/IA/MO/AK on the way back down. 10 states with a bird in one season would be IMPRESSIVE to say the least.