turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Greatest Dogfight Of WW1!

Started by quavers59, December 20, 2017, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Merry Christmas members! I wanted to share this video with you all as it is that good. Type in at Utube-German Ace-WERNER VOSS at Great Military Battles. I still need to learn to post links. I have 3 books on 3 pilots involved in this dogfight. September Evening which describes this dogfight and Voss--48 victories. Brief Glory is about Arthur Rhys Davids--27 victories. And Flying Fury- by Major James McCudden-VC--Victoria Cross--57 victories. It is about 17 minutes long and a very exciting and interesting video. Enjoy it!

quavers59

The Fokker DR1 Triplane that Voss flew is the same type that Manfred Von Richthofen-(The Red Baron) flew when he was shot down from the ground by Australian machine gunners as he was looking to notch #81 and firing into a British Camel in front of him. He still remained the top ace on either side however with 80 after his death.

quavers59

Also - I have become aware from reading more then 22 books or so on WW1 fighter pilots is that to a man-- they were totally focused on their victory score. I think most Turkey hunters are the same. It could be finally taking more then 10 gobblers or breaking the 100 barrier on Public lands or very heavily hunted leased lands- or a combination of both. Or the Spring gobbler total goal would be different for everyone here. In my case -- my goal would be --2 New York Gobblers-- 2 New Jersey Gobblers and 1 PA Gobbler if I go out there this Spring.  So-I think most people here have a number goal each Spring as well. I am sure some here take 20 or more Spring Tom's each year. Manfred Von Richthofen would get on his pilots to break out of their single digits victory score--8-9. I hope members enjoyed this post and the video.  Merry Christmas!!!

guesswho

If turkeys shot back, my goal would be to never see another one and to never be seen by another one.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

Quote from: guesswho on December 24, 2017, 08:05:34 AM
, my goal would be to never see another one and to never be seen by another one.

this is my exact goal when it comes to most game wardens

quavers59

Hope you enjoyed the video of Werner Voss. The pilot of the Red-nosed Albatross was also most certainly a Ace in his own right as Aces were known to fly solo from time to time on both sides. Anyway--Crow--- Game Warden?? Don't get caught! One of my co-workers fishes for Crappie  in a Res where no fishing is allowed. He has had to make a slip out of there several times!! I just told him to stay legal-- not worth trespassing or taking over the Crappie limit. This guy lives for Crappies.

quavers59

A major reason so many aces flew together was to have a witness to a downed enemy plane. One french pilot-Fonck who was #2 on the victory list with 78 had plenty of unconfirmed downings or he like many just reported a plane down to rev up their score. So.e of the British Aces in this video had nearly 30 victories! Voss must have been one of the best pilots for sure.

quavers59

One last fact on Werner Voss. He had his picture taken just before he took off. His 2 Brothers were there and all 3 were to go on leave. Richthofen also had his pic taken right before he took off. Most pilots in WW1 would not allow their pictures to be taken before a sortie as it was considered bad luck.Richthofen also failed to return after having his pic taken.  Anyway-- Crow- up here in NY- I have been checked while Fall turkey hunting by a Bow Hunter who turned out to be a Environmental Conservation Officer. He made sure I had my turkey permit as I had to fish it out of my wallet. Stay legal out there.

crow

Quote from: quavers59 on December 27, 2017, 06:51:14 PM
-- Crow- up here in NY- I have been checked while Fall turkey hunting by a Bow Hunter who turned out to be a Environmental Conservation Officer. He made sure I had my turkey permit as I had to fish it out of my wallet. Stay legal out there.

Well I do hunt legal and have no problem with law enforcement, I have friends I hunt with that are State troopers and Border patrol, just my dry sense of humor I guess  :)

quavers59

Sounds good Crow.  Think Spring and Late March will be here before you know it!

quavers59

I might just watch this video one more time myself as it is the weekend. In one of my books- Ernst Udet- who shot down 62 French and British fighter planes show the awful strain on his face after one of these encounters. He managed to survive the war however.

greencop01

Quote from: crow on December 27, 2017, 10:15:17 PM
Quote from: quavers59 on December 27, 2017, 06:51:14 PM
-- Crow- up here in NY- I have been checked while Fall turkey hunting by a Bow Hunter who turned out to be a Environmental Conservation Officer. He made sure I had my turkey permit as I had to fish it out of my wallet. Stay legal out there.

The hard work of Game Wardens ensure that there will be game for the future, if you don't violate, you have nothing to worry about. I'm a retired Warden and enjoy Spring Turkey hunting and a very good bucket mouth hole, a secret. Good Luck this Spring, may you hear the RATTLE.   :z-twocents:

Well I do hunt legal and have no problem with law enforcement, I have friends I hunt with that are State troopers and Border patrol, just my dry sense of humor I guess  :)
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

quavers59

Well said Greencop01! Just in 2014- I was checked in PA just as I was arriving at my truck with a huge gobbler. All legal and my tag was filled out and and on one leg. Hell of a nice guy as well.  Game officers do a great job out there! By the way-- Manfred Von Richthofen was a hunter and a very good shot.