turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your favoite time to hunt Illinois

Started by wvlimbhanger, November 29, 2017, 01:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvlimbhanger

I have a hankering to hunt Illinois this spring  but have one question to those of you that hunt there or have hunted there.......what week/season is your favorite?

Since I have to apply by week/season to get a tag I want to make sure I'm applying for the best time.

It will be in the southern zone.

Thanks

FANMAN

I hunt in a southernmost north county... Clark county ,I have always go 2nd season... Sometimes first season can be nasty cold and bitter,seen some 1st season's covered in snow...but this year winter is yet to come.That's the best I can advise.... Good luck with whatever you choose.

renegade19

Southern zone hunter here too.  My buddy and I always hunt 1st season together.  It's kind of our tradition.  It's usually good.  I've also had amazing experiences during 5th season when most of the hens have been bred and the gobblers are "thirsty" as the kids say.  Lots of good public land opportunities here.  Good luck.

ILHUNTER

I hunt the southern part of the northern zone.  Every year seems to very, but sometimes 1st season is tough because of a late spring, and 5th season is usually tough because they have had enough and everything is all grown up.  I'd say your best bet is mid season, 2nd or 3rd, good luck to ya.

Roost 1

I've hunted 4th season in Brown Co for several yrs. Tried the 3rd season once prefer the 4th season. Hens are nesting and the big boys are looking. Not a lot of pressure in the area I hunted which made for some of the very turkey hunts I've experienced. Killed some of my best birds in IL.
Good luck.

Dtrkyman

Brown county is still north zone, In the north zone which I have hunted primarily I prefer the third season, which would coincide with the south zone 4th season. I have success in all seasons but tend to find more responsive birds then.  Are you hunting private or public?

As a non res. your least likely to draw a 2nd season, they get bought up first, depending on county you may get your first choice regardless.

PaLmbHngr

I hunt the southern zone and have killed all of my birds in the first season. Most have been on public ground. I like to get the first crack at them before they get pressured.

renegade19

Quote from: PaLmbHngr on December 29, 2017, 09:39:09 PM
I hunt the southern zone and have killed all of my birds in the first season. Most have been on public ground. I like to get the first crack at them before they get pressured.

:icon_thumright: