OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Information Needed

Started by Neill_Prater, April 15, 2011, 03:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I was looking at the choke tube I've used in my 11-87 for probably the last 15 years because I am curious as to what constriction it is, and was wondering if someone would know?

I was thinking it was a Mad Max, but apparently is a Lohman (I'm thinking they were associated for a while way back when?). It is ported, 4 ports (slots, parallel with the barrel), and the only markings I can find on it are: LOH.304, LEAD-ONLY

Obviously, the .304 is not the exit diameter, so perhaps they used to use the constriction from a standard bore, but I'm not sure what was considered "standard", if that is the case. This thing has killed a bunch of turkeys, starting with lead Remington Premiers through Active 2 1/4 ounce loads when they were available, then Winchester HV's, and, most recently, Winchester Xtendeds. In every case, this old choke out performed any of the Remington chokes, including the Superfull, but I've never matched it against any other aftermarket chokes. I'm wanting to run a couple of the Hevi 7's through it, and am curious as to how it compares in diameter to what others are using now. Thanks. Neill

BigPeck215

i know 304 is a type of high stress stainless steel that i have seen chokes made out of before, so maybe that is what the 304 means

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on April 15, 2011, 03:59:27 PM
I was looking at the choke tube I've used in my 11-87 for probably the last 15 years because I am curious as to what constriction it is, and was wondering if someone would know?

I was thinking it was a Mad Max, but apparently is a Lohman (I'm thinking they were associated for a while way back when?). It is ported, 4 ports (slots, parallel with the barrel), and the only markings I can find on it are: LOH.304, LEAD-ONLY

Obviously, the .304 is not the exit diameter, so perhaps they used to use the constriction from a standard bore, but I'm not sure what was considered "standard", if that is the case. This thing has killed a bunch of turkeys, starting with lead Remington Premiers through Active 2 1/4 ounce loads when they were available, then Winchester HV's, and, most recently, Winchester Xtendeds. In every case, this old choke out performed any of the Remington chokes, including the Superfull, but I've never matched it against any other aftermarket chokes. I'm wanting to run a couple of the Hevi 7's through it, and am curious as to how it compares in diameter to what others are using now. Thanks. Neill

Hey Neill,

That sounds like the old Mad Max turkey choke. Does it look like this one? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41616-1.html

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Neill_Prater

Clark, that certainly looks like it. I see in that picture it says "Mad Max" on the tube. I'm thining that Lohman and the Drury boys were associated at one time. I see the one in the ad is a .670, but it is for a Browning, so I'm not sure if mine would be the same or not. I don't have a micrometer, and can't think of anyone here close that would have. Not that it really matters, if it shoots, I'm just curious.  :) Thanks. Neill

Neill_Prater

Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 15, 2011, 04:05:19 PM
i know 304 is a type of high stress stainless steel that i have seen chokes made out of before, so maybe that is what the 304 means

That makes sense. I suspect you are right. Thanks. Neill

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on April 15, 2011, 06:10:48 PM
Clark, that certainly looks like it. I see in that picture it says "Mad Max" on the tube. I'm thining that Lohman and the Drury boys were associated at one time. I see the one in the ad is a .670, but it is for a Browning, so I'm not sure if mine would be the same or not. I don't have a micrometer, and can't think of anyone here close that would have. Not that it really matters, if it shoots, I'm just curious.  :) Thanks. Neill

Neill,

The MM for the Rem-Choke that I had was a .655. I had several of the MM chokes  for different guns but a few years after they quit making them, I got rid of them.

I went back into my records and took a look. I shot a lot of shells through those chokes in 2005 and they shot a lot of different shells very well.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. It was interesting to look back to early 2005 and review the work that I did then. In February of that year I evaluated 9 different chokes with several lead loads, with Remington Hevi-Shot and with Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells in both lead and Heavyweight shot. I did that with a number of different guns and barrel lengths. None of the results would impress us today.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."