OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Disappointing First Results

Started by Neill_Prater, April 14, 2011, 10:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Got a couple of boxes of Hevi 7's from Cabelas Tuesday. Been pressed for time, so went out to listen for turkeys yesterday morning, and threw the Stoeger in the vehicle, hoping to shoot it a time or two. I fired one of the 7's through the Tightwad choke at 40 yds (measured with a rangefinder), and got a pretty poor pattern, compared to what most of you guys are talking about. Ten inch circle count was something under 150, with several holes in the pattern. The Tightwad is a 655, so I'm thinking that perhaps going to something with slightly less restriction might improve the pattern?

And, no the barrel has not been polished, and I didn't deep clean the barrel after shooting it twice in Alabama, but even the possible claimed increase of 10% would still have resulted in way under 200. Yow, I know, it would likely still have been a dead turkey, but more than likely at 50, it won't be holding a killing pattern.

Season starts Monday, so I may end up just taking my old Remington this year, and worry about dialing in the Stoeger over the winter. Like an idiot, I didn't think to take the Remington, but would really like to try the 7's in it, to compare the results to the Xtended 6's I've been using the past few years. Neill

surehuntsalot

sounds maybe a little to tight to me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

new2turkey

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 14, 2011, 11:08:18 PM

x2... sounds like a blown out pattern, try something with a larger ED

critter gitter12

my soeger m3500 love the pure gold 670 wih hevi 7's

bowhunter84

Quote from: new2turkey on April 14, 2011, 11:32:51 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 14, 2011, 11:08:18 PM

x2... sounds like a blown out pattern, try something with a larger ED
:agreed: a more open choke may help your pattern

SumToy

You are in that black hole.   Go up to around a 675 or drop it down to 645 to 650.  It will shoot.  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

msgobblergetter

I shoot a trulock .670 in my stoeger 2000 with 28'bbl.  It shoots h13 6's and 7's well.  190-200 with 6's and 240's with 7's.

msgobblergetter

BTW... The stoeger m2000 has a chrome lined barrel, so I would recommend polishing it.  Deep cleaning process worked really well with my stoeger.

BigPeck215

most people dont recommend polishing a chrome lined barrel, but i can tell you i shot a .643 and .665 with the 7's and my best numbers came when i went to a larger .675 diameter choke, there is a lot of pellets in that load bouncing off one another and i think it requires a slightly larger choke than other shells

jokasr07

probably just the tightwad bout one petterned it and now it is a paperweight