turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call striker suggestions

Started by KYTURKEY, September 02, 2017, 10:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYTURKEY

Looking for suggestions for woods for one piece strikers. I'm not looking to buy strikers, or for who to buy from. Just what woods you would suggest. I am looking for suggestions for the following surfaces.
Crystal
Slate
Aluminum

Thanks,
Patrick

Clardh

Good all around striker for those surfaces are, tulipwood, dymalux and Ipe. There are many other woods that sound good on each of the three you mentioned but those three woods seem to run just about any call I own.

HookedonHooks

Macassar Ebony is a runner on most surfaces. Snakewood runs really nice on just about every call I've ever put one to. But if you want the most consistent, find you a nice balanced one piece Dymondwood striker and that will flat run on everything.

A Dymondwood rod with Osage top two piecer is also a SUPER consistent and usually a well balanced striker as well.

jed clampett

Crystal....dymondwood..yellowheart....tulipwood...macassar ebony...black & white ebony....snakewood...purpleheart...katalox...grenadillo
Slate...purpleheart....persimmon...dogwood...blacklocust...jatoba..tulipwood..yellowheart
Aluminum....dymondwood...dymalux..macassar ebony

These are just some of my favorites!!!

mmclain

Black locust.  Dymondwood. Ironwood.  3 piece arrowshaft strikers. Bubinga.

mgm1955

IMO snakewood works well on just about anything.

jimmy w

Not as good as most of you with calling but I seem to like dymondwood and snakewood

Double B

In addition,  Hickory, Rosewoods, Canarywood and Bloodwood.   
Followed by buzzards

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Coop1082

Crystal- Macassar Ebony, Tulipwood, Dymalux
Aluminum- Snakewood, Dymalux, Dymondwood
Slate- Persimmon, Hickory, Dogwood
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Chris O

Tulip wood
Osage
Hickory                                                         
Dymond wood
Bloodwood
Macasser Ebony
Ipe
Black locust
All these have played good on all surfaces

Ol Yelper

Tulipwood is great on everything I've put it to. The surfaces you mention as well as ceramic. And it's less expensive then snakewood.

pauld

Tulip wood, snakewood, blood wood, persimmon, macasser ebony, canarywood

mossyhorn2

one that doesn't get much mention on here is chakte viga. It seems to play on everything and is easy to turn.

jed clampett

Got a 1 pc striker from Brad Roberts with a bronze glass/aluminum honey Locust pot called sucupira that sounds really good!