OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which semi-auto would you buy and why?

Started by JUGHEAD, April 14, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout24

Another long time 1187 fan, mine will shoot #6's 200+ @ 40 all day, even though I enjoy it alot more when I shoot them at half that.

Odessa

I hunt with a Browning BPS with a Bushnell Trophy red-dot, but find that at 9 lbs rigged out it is getting to be heavy to lug on a full dawn to dusk day.  I hunt waterfowl with a Benelli M-2 and I think I am going to either get another M-2 or a SBE2, mount a Burris FF-II red-dot and make it a dedicated turkey shotgun, ought to shed a pound and a half or two by going that route.  I know it is pricey, but my children will get more money at the estate sale if I get one (or maybe not)!
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Mailman

It is an investment. I will use it for as long as I can hunt. My grandson expected on 4/27/2011 if he is blessed by God with good health he can enjoy it when I go to live with my Lord. Its only money. I worked for it. And I will spend it. I dont care if it is only used for turkey. It gets the job done and done well. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! buy cheap get cheap crap.
One Shot One Kill

JUGHEAD

Quote from: Mailman on April 16, 2011, 01:36:07 PMYOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
No doubt about that!  If I had the extra expendable income, your gun is EXACTLY what I would buy for the reasons you mentioned.  I just can't justify turning loose of that kind of money right now for many reasons.  Make no mistake about it....I'm jealous.  ;D

grousec

I was in your shoes last year (looking at Semi-Auto turkey gun).  I tried a pump and hated it.  After looking, I bought the 935 pistol Grip Turkey model.  I couldn't be happier, and love the way it shoots.    If I was buying right now I would buy the 935 model I have now again.  If I wanted something lighter I would buy the Steoger 3500.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: grousec on April 16, 2011, 04:21:36 PM
I was in your shoes last year (looking at Semi-Auto turkey gun).  I tried a pump and hated it.  After looking, I bought the 935 pistol Grip Turkey model.  I couldn't be happier, and love the way it shoots.    If I was buying right now I would buy the 935 model I have now again.  If I wanted something lighter I would buy the Steoger 3500.
Just won a 935 on gunbroker.  Bought a slightly used one at a good price with a field barrel and a turkey barrel.  We do raffles in my gun club and I shouldn't have any problem getting my money back if I decide it's not for me.  If I'm not pleased, I'll move on to the 1187.  Thank you guys so much for all the help and information!!!!  :thanks:

allchokedup

If you just got hooked on turkey hunting, I hate to tell ya this, but one day you will probably have one of each you mentioned.
If I was going to buy a new gun in that price range I would probably go with the Stoeger 3500 with the steadygrip stock. They shoot good are are so easy to keep clean. All the guns you mention are excellent turkey guns. Just take your time, try some out if you can and pick what is good for you. Happy and safe hunting.

Mild Bill

I would go with a Beretta Xtrema II for a heavy duty semi-automatic shotgun.  It would be a shame just to use if for turkey hunting though, unless you have a serious bankroll.

The Xtrema is the softest shooting heavy duty 12 there is, and they are tough, and have that special corrosion resistant coating on them.

I have my eyes on one for my next shotgun purchase.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

beagler

Quote from: Mild Bill on April 16, 2011, 07:09:23 PM
I would go with a Beretta Xtrema II for a heavy duty semi-automatic shotgun. 
I purchased one for my dad this past year, great gun. He only uses it for turkey and coyote (we run hounds).
Never Misses

Cutt

QuoteCutt, its my thumb, how could I be mistaken about it hurting? ;)

Mine looks like yours except for the different color on the front of it. And on an 1187, there is MUCH less recoil than the 870, and it might not have been an issue even for me with the auto. Also, it was much worse shooting off a bench than just shooting it. I finally started putting my thumb beside the grip instead of in it when shooting off the bench. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I still think you are mistaken the Sureshot stock for a thumbhole stock, at least it's what you make it sound like? You stated" I finally started putting my thumb beside the grip, instead of in it" Sounds like you are describing a thumhole, and yes they will beat your thumb. But can't see how a wide open shurshot can beat ones thumb? You put your thumb in a thumbhole stock like you stated, with a shurshot stock you put your whole hand in., it's no different than a pistol grip.

Cutt

I honestly though you were talking about the small thumhole type? Because it does not effect my thumb like you described? Although I will say my Shurshot with the overmolded grips, looks to have a bigger opening then the stock you pictured? So maybe there is a slight difference as the newer ones have a bit more hand room? Sorry for the confusion, as I also just could not understand if the gun is shouldered tightly the hand doesn't take that much shock, but I guess we all shoot a bit different?

JUGHEAD

Quote from: Cutt on April 17, 2011, 08:17:17 AM
Although I will say my Shurshot with the overmolded grips, looks to have a bigger opening then the stock you pictured?
Although it's tough to tell with just that one pic, I have to agree with this.  That opening doesn't look as big at first glance?  Or, PCP has hands like a gorilla.  ;D

Mag10

I have very big hands and my shurshot stock fits fine. If you are holding your shotgun right you will have more pressure on the front of the stock pulling it to your shoulder, witch takes the impact of the shot. 

Cutt

Quote from: Mag10 on April 17, 2011, 03:06:37 PM
I have very big hands and my shurshot stock fits fine. If you are holding your shotgun right you will have more pressure on the front of the stock pulling it to your shoulder, witch takes the impact of the shot. 

I agree, think that's why I couldn't picture thumb problems with it? I'm guessing my shoulder takes 75-80% of the recoil, leaving the hand with very litte.

Limbstrutter

SX3 I picked one up last year and you couldn't trade me a few guns for it. they handle great the shoot great and is light weight. Everything you would want in a gun. I have a lot of turkey guns and this thing is a straight shooter, straight out of the box.TWO THUMBS UP.  :icon_thumright:
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4