OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Epic fail!!!!!!

Started by Trevor2, April 14, 2011, 01:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

Few years back when I was in high school I made a purple heart striker with a pine knob, and it sounds pretty good, or at least im happy with it, especially it being my first. Now I widdled down a piece of cedar over the past couple weeks and hit it on the belt sander today, just the tip, to make sure I could get a nice sound before I finished up the dressing on the handle and all, and guess what, it sounds like hammered dog shat. I dont make strikers for sale more just for fun, but thought this would be the best place, for critiquing. Anything I did wrong or could do to salvage this striker? Its lil short but thats ok with me if I can get it to sound decent.
Strutstopper

WillowRidgeCalls

Cedar is really hard to work with for strikers because it's so inconsistent. The best thing to do with them is make them as a 2 piece striker and leave the top unglued so you can slide it up or down the peg to find where the striker wants to play, then mark it and glue it up.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Trevor2

Thanks. I was intending on a one piece striker as my first one i made was a two piece so maybe ill try a different wood, any suggestions
Strutstopper

Last Strut Calls

I personally like hard woods for strikers but some softer woods will work good. My favorites are osage, persimmon, oak, canary, bloodwood, brazilian cherry, cherry, maple, and padauk.