OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Warmer Shells

Started by Mag10, April 14, 2011, 09:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mag10

Is there any testing that has been done on this?  The temp that the shell is keeped at may be the best improvement in patterns that we have left, we did the barrle, we did the shells, how about the temp. of the shell.  we wait for 60 degrees to test our loads, What if it is 30 when hunting?  

If we heat the round up 30 degrees, do we get 30 % better patterns?  Even if you got 30 more pellets in the 10 ring.   How about when the temp is 35 degrees and the shell is 90 degrees?  This needs to be checked out.   The guys from BPI used to put there goose loads in a playmate cooler with heaters  back in the early 80's because the loads they shot were much stronger when kept warm.

Mag10

Anyone tryed warming shells?  Room temp. vers. 30 Degrees?

magmaniac190

what does it matter, you can't keep the first round warm in the chamber. It boils down to testing your load in the conditions you hunt. Quit worrying about how many more pellets you can get inside ten inches.
Unless your planning on still target shooting you may see alittle difference but you still have to deal with the temp. outside. Colder air is denser.

BigPeck215

i have noticed that warmer shells pattern better, but i dont have any info on degrees warmer in relation to pellet counts. when i hunt big fields and i can see all around me i sometimes take a round out of the chamber and let it warm up in the sun and slide it back in when i see a bird, dont know if it helps all that much on birds vs paper but it cant hurt

TauntoHawk

i patterned on a cool, breezy day with rain showers this year.. typical turkey hunting weather so I know how my gun will perform on the bottom end of my shell performance
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>