turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

? for the Experts

Started by McGoose, April 14, 2011, 09:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGoose

I have finally gotten what shell and choke I want to use. Now I need to know the effective range. I plan on using my TruGlo Gobble Stopper with a .665 constriction in my Browning Silver. My ammo is going to be Winchester Supreme Double X 3inch 6shot which has a 2ounce payload. I am making good patterns out to 40 but don't know if it is enough energy to kill one at 40. What do you think? Or should I go to a Winchester 1.75 Ounce 3inch 5 shot(gray box) to get an effective 40yrd shot?

sugarray

First, what is good patterns to you?

Second, #6 will kill to 50 easily, so no need to worry about 40.

You will get lots of good thoughts and experience here.

HogBiologist

The basic premise is that you shoot at varying distances.  Draw a 10" circle around the most dense part of the pattern.  Where ever you stop getting 100 pelets in a 10" circle is your effective range.  Having said that, it is important to note that you draw the 10" circle after the shot.  Once you have established your limiting distance, you adjust the sights to match where your pattern is shooting.  With turkey guns and tight patterns, it is more like sighting in a rifle than just a point and shoot shotgun.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

McGoose

I don't count pellets in a 10 inch circle. I count pellets in the vitals of a turkey target. I'm having around 13 kills at 40 yards with #6 copperplated lead. I read an article where the author stated that this same load has an effective range of 30-35 yards. I plan on shooting one much closer than that, but I don't want a big tom to get away because I can't go to 40.

HogBiologist

Counting the pellets in the vitals is good.  But the turkeys head is constantly moving.  And for the most part it would be moving in about a 10 area.  If you can get a nice even pattern in a 10" area then you have wiggle room.  I see that you are limiting your self to 35 yards.  Your shell should be lethal farther than 40 yds, if the pattern density is there.  If you are going to say 35 yds, but happen to misjudge the distance and it be 45, you should be fine if you can evenly cover a 10 inch area with enough pellets to no have escape holes in your pattern.  And having 100 pellets in the 10" usually gives you the coverage needed to have a pattern w/o escape holes.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Reloader

Circles are a much better method.  The skull and neck bone fits perfectly in a 10" dia circle and as mentioned, their heads are moving plus you are wiggling.  Always good to know what your 10" numbers are.  80-100 will do it, 100 is better.  6s will kill them every time out to 50 if the pattern is there, but not many guns/choke will give results past 40-45.

Any of the Winchester 3" #6 loads will work just fine.  The 1-3/4oz black HV Supremes are great shells, the grey box 1-7/8oz and the XX 3-2-6 loads are great as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

McGoose

Good Point regarding the 10inch circle and a moving turkey. I will count em up and see what works best for coverage. As long as a turkey will die with 6's at 40 I'm happy. Thanks

Gobble!

Quote from: Reloader on April 14, 2011, 09:48:55 AM
Circles are a much better method.  The skull and neck bone fits perfectly in a 10" dia circle and as mentioned, their heads are moving plus you are wiggling.  Always good to know what your 10" numbers are.  80-100 will do it, 100 is better.  6s will kill them every time out to 50 if the pattern is there, but not many guns/choke will give results past 40-45.

Any of the Winchester 3" #6 loads will work just fine.  The 1-3/4oz black HV Supremes are great shells, the grey box 1-7/8oz and the XX 3-2-6 loads are great as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

x2

gun for hire

Up until last year, the Win XX 3-2-6 load was my load of choice.  You have plenty of power with this load to make a clean kill at 40 and probably farther.  I have shot several turkeys between 35-46 yards with this load and they were DRT.  I switched to the H13 3-2-7's not as much for extra killing range but for a denser, more consistant pattern.  If your gun patterns these shells well enough at 40, pull the trigger and go pick up the dead bird.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gun for hire on April 14, 2011, 10:53:39 AM
Up until last year, the Win XX 3-2-6 load was my load of choice.  You have plenty of power with this load to make a clean kill at 40 and probably farther.  I have shot several turkeys between 35-46 yards with this load and they were DRT.  I switched to the H13 3-2-7's not as much for extra killing range but for a denser, more consistant pattern.  If your gun patterns these shells well enough at 40, pull the trigger and go pick up the dead bird.

Your a smart cookie. 

The 7's will give you added range by the way from what I have seen.  They easily will kill at 50yds. 

bowhunter84

Quote from: sugarray on April 14, 2011, 09:28:11 AM
First, what is good patterns to you?

Second, #6 will kill to 50 easily, so no need to worry about 40.

You will get lots of good thoughts and experience here.
:agreed:

longbeardlife.com

I shot #6s for years and wouldnt think twice about shooting one at forty yds when I shot them.  just know your point of and let him have it... good luck