OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

23" vs 26" vs 28"

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 10, 2011, 09:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Other than actual length, price, and a change in velocity what are the differences between Rem 870 Super Mag barrels?

R AJ

A shorter barrel generally requires a tighter choke than the longer, the longer the barrel the longer the sight plane and the heavier it is. I have some of all and live with each .

Jbird22

Agree with RAJ.

I have owned a 21", 23", 26" and 28" bbl at one point or another and must say that the 23" is my favorite as far as turkey hunting is concerned. The 26" would be 2nd choice. It's all a matter of personal preference and feel to me.

paladin

I have 18" 20" 23'' 24" and 26". I like the 18 and 20 the best. The 26" shoots the best.
"have gun-will travel"

ILIKEHEVI-13

I like longer barrels.  Both mine are 28".  And I haven't found short barrels to like tighter chokes vs my 28" barrels.  More times than not a choke diameter around .670 to .675 will shoot the best overall patterns for 10" and 20" numbers with Hevi-13 loads.   Now in barrels witha .723 backbore you may go down another .005 to .010 tigher in choke diameter. 

WyoHunter

Both mine are 26" and for me that's the perfect length.  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

PALongspur

There was a really good article about this in Turkey and Turkey Hunting by Jay Langston a few years back.

VAHUNTER

IMO barrel length from 20" to 28" you will not see a difference in a hunting situation when it comes to killing a turkey at a normal range. dead is dead no matter the barrel length. that being said .i prefer a 23" to 24" barrel. short enough to get around the woods easily but long enough to find the right choke/load without to much trouble.

there have been patterns posted on here from 18" up that anyone would be proud to show off
Good things come to those who wait

LAWRENCE BOY

I have 870's with
a 21" ,23" and 26"
my favorite is the 23"
but you cant go wrong with the 26"
The 26" comes up better and aims better IMO
Gobble
Gobble

BOOM

tactikel

I prefer the 24" barrel for my 835, I hunt in heavy cover (NE Wisconsin) and the shorter barrel is easier to haul thru the woods. For wing shooting I prefer a 28" barrel, but for Turkey the 24 is fine.  :fud:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 11, 2011, 10:02:38 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 11, 2011, 12:32:53 AM
Now in barrels witha .723 backbore you may go down another .005 to .010 tigher in choke diameter. 

Not trying to starting an arguement or anything at all, just making a correction. .729 is the standard nominal 12ga bore diameter. A .723 is Underbore, and .735, .742, ect. are Overbore. Backbore is any bore diameter, that has been modified to a larger bore diameter.

Thanks for the correction.  That is what I meant. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

In theory, all other things being equal, a longer barrel should out-perform a shorter barrel.  However, the patterns posted the last couple of years seem to defy this logic.  It appears to be possible to get good patterns out of almost any barrel length.

I like 26" to 28" of barrel myself.  My mind tells me that's better, and it feels right too.  However, I have a 20 Gauge with a 22" barrel and an aluminum receiver, and it's as light as a feather.  I can throw the sling over my shoulder and carry it all day long.

msgobblergetter

26" HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BEST PERFORMER FOR ME.

surehuntsalot

24" is all I use in the turkey woods
it's not the harvest,it's the chase