OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Super Black Eagle 2 vs 3

Started by WVhuntEER, June 07, 2017, 01:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: deadbuck on June 08, 2017, 01:21:28 PM
How many single gun guys are out there? I usually kill with 3-4 different guns every year. Start off with my longest range killer at beginning of season with no foliage, and as things green up change to a shorter range setup. I have owned 2 SBE2 guns, one shot high and right, the current one shoots dead on. I would not pay $1700 for a SBE3 without the chance to shoot it one time with a turkey load and choke to check POI.

I use the same gun the whole year and on trips.  Took a different gun a few years ago on my first Florida hunt for Osceolas, on WMA, and missed the dang bird I called up.  Learned a lesson to stick with the gun you are familiar with.  Any miss hurts, but a public land Osceola on your first try has a little bit more sting to it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

I am a one gun fellow. Still using the same gun I killed my first with 16 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cut N Run

I hunted with an H&K Super Black Eagle for several years, then got a NWTF SBE ii at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh about 10 years ago.   The poa and poi are very close in the SBE ii, but once I added a Burris Speed Bead it became the most accurate, best patterning gun I've ever owned. It is a 100% dedicated turkey killer and the only thing besides turkeys I shoot with it are patterning targets for turkey season.  I sold the H&K SBE back to the friend I bought it from that we agreed to when I bought it.  My SBE ii is like an extension of my arm.  Whatever turkey I shoot with it, drops or rolls over backwards.  Winner - winner, turkey dinner.

My best friend owns a SBE i and two SBE iis.  Now he wants an SBE iii just because he loves how reliable they are.  None of his guns have anything but the original bead sights. He had the barrel ported on his SBE i and has a sure-grip stock. It is also a turkey killing machine.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Forked lighting

After reading all this I'm surprised Remington didn't give me my 11/87 since I must be the only turkey hunting with one

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

WiLL B

I love my SBE bought in 2001. I use it for all shotgun activities. Hits where its pointed and kills. I have friends that bought SBE 2"s. Some hit where they are pointed some do not. They are all light good toting shotguns. Personally I won"t hunt with one that needs a scope to hit. The speed beads and scopes fixed their problem though. I have a couple of 870s that kill but they are just heavy after carrying the SBE for the past 17 years.

Rzrbac

I've had my SBE2 for ten years now. I've owned Remington, Winchester and Mossberg. I still have the 870 as my son uses it and his middle name is Remington!  I cherish my SBE 2, until this year I had Williams Firesights on it and it took little effort to have the pattern lined up. I went with a scope this year just because I don't see as well.  I was one for two, first miss I've had in a long time but it was likely I was due to me being twisted up shooting behind me at a close one.

I have no experience with the SBE 3 but mine is a steady grip and a flat out killer.

chadly

I have 7 different shot gun brands in my safe and doubles of several.  With said if I had to pick one gun it would be the SBE ll.  It's light and just swings right for me.  Come home after hunting in the rain and it's fully disassembled in a minute.  However, I've had one problem and I'm surprised it's not been brought up.  It's not the gun it's the shooter.  With the inertia system if you do not shoulder the gun firm it may not cycle the fired round.  I've never had this happen at the trap range shooting light loads as the gun is shouldered well.  Upland hunting when sometimes a shot needs to be made quickly I've had shells not eject all the way.  I've never had that happen with the M1.  My brother also hunted with an M1 for 15 years and never once a hiccup.  However when he got his SBE II he's had a couple of shells not eject all the way.  I think it has something to do with the length of travel the bolt moves.  I went through almost 6 boxes or 150 rounds this year upland hunting and about 4 or 100 rounds shooting crows.  I never had an issue.  I've been using this gun for about 13 years or so and I've learned how to hold it.  It the beginning it was a problem and I sent back to Benelli twice.  Good luck in your search.

g8rvet

Guns are kinda like women.  If we all liked the same one, it would be a heck of a mess. 

When I first went to Canada, there were 5 of us hunting. I shot the NOVA and the other 4 shot the Black Eagles.  We are hunting from layout blinds.  My NOVA was given away to a friend that lost all his guns in a house fire and one of them was a NOVA.  I never cared for the gun that much anyways (un usable for turkeys due to POA/POI).  3 of the other 4 guys have moved on from their BE due to the "Binelli click" that happened to them a lot when shooting straight up shots, which is not unusual from a layout at ducks and geese.  Also, they had lots of issues on rainy/muddy days, but to be fair that would be most every autoloader.  I shoot O/U for ducks/geese and never feel at a disadvantage with 2 shots.  When I pull the trigger it goes boom and all my empties are sitting in the bottom of my layout or boat when I am done shooting.

Of course none of that helps the OP, so sorry for the sidetrack.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

kjnengr

I bought a SBE 3 this year.  I had previously decided on a FF3 sight so whether POA/POI was the same didn't bother me.  I like the way my gun handles and love it for a turkey gun.  Call me crazy, but my SB3 feels lighter and actually feels like it kicks less than my 870.  And if you are worried about the "Benelli Click", that problem was supposedly fixed on the SB3.  No matter how slowly you engage the bolt, it engages as it should.  I am also very happy with the way it patterned. 

spaightlabs

Quote from: g8rvet on June 09, 2017, 01:58:28 PM
Guns are kinda like women.  If we all liked the same one, it would be a heck of a mess. 

My buddy says guns are better than women...

your gun won't care if you go bang with another gun. :z-guntootsmiley:

Bowguy

Quote from: sixbird on June 08, 2017, 08:20:39 AM
I hear people complain about poa/poi but I never had that problem with mine. I did set it up properly with the shims supplied...
To me the 870's seem like clubs. Winchesters don't have a great rep. regarding function. Mossbergs have been prone to breakage. Brownings are heavy and awkward...So, seems like every gun has it's drawbacks. Have I insulted everyone yet? ;^)
As soon as I picked up the SBE II I knew I had to have one. Now, I know everybody has their "one love..." That's why everyone isn't after grandma'...And I understand that but bashing the Benelli's and saying they lack function is just inaccurate...
Never even heard of a Mossberg w probs??

beagler

All I can say is I love my SBE2.
Never Misses

tha bugman

Have not but Benelli speaks for itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rio Fan

I've had my SBE2 for around 11 years now. I love it. It's been a great waterfowl and turkey gun for me. Pretty sure it kills turkeys just as dead as any other turkey gun would.

dutch@fx4

Be Nellie just never fit me at sll. I find them very uncomfortable. Browning autos fit me much better.same as Remington 1100 and 11 87