Main Menu

Super Black Eagle 2 vs 3

Started by WVhuntEER, June 07, 2017, 01:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 07, 2017, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on June 07, 2017, 07:54:37 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on June 07, 2017, 07:27:11 PM
Mine stays in the safe..i take my little Remington 870 - 20 gauge...

Same offer, from one Greg to another, might as well free up some room.
I don't trade or sale any of my guns. I buy them for investments...  but thanks for the offer...

I understand not wanting to get rid of any of 'em, but if you are seriously thinking of a run of the mill gun like a Rem 870 20 ga as an investment you are not going to see much of a return.  Collectibles or high grade guns, perhaps.  Turkey guns, not so much.

Roost 1

I've had my H&K imported SBE since 1994, never a better semi auto made..

Greg Massey

Quote from: spaightlabs on June 07, 2017, 09:27:14 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on June 07, 2017, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on June 07, 2017, 07:54:37 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on June 07, 2017, 07:27:11 PM
Mine stays in the safe..i take my little Remington 870 - 20 gauge...

Same offer, from one Greg to another, might as well free up some room.
I don't trade or sale any of my guns. I buy them for investments...  but thanks for the offer...
Any gun is collectible it's all in the eyes of the beholder..I disagree that turkey guns are not very collectible or not very high grade..  All my turkeys guns are builds and very collectible to myself.. just my opinion... regardless they are investments...even the Remington 870, that i own , some are old wingmasters...

I understand not wanting to get rid of any of 'em, but if you are seriously thinking of a run of the mill gun like a Rem 870 20 ga as an investment you are not going to see much of a return.  Collectibles or high grade guns, perhaps.  Turkey guns, not so much.

Farmboy27

Quote from: spaightlabs on June 07, 2017, 08:53:09 PM
Well heck.  I've been using my wingshooting guns all wrong I guess...there are a few dozen turkeys that must have been very disappointed to have been taken by a wingshooting gun.

I can turn my teal gun into a duck, into a goose gun, into a turkey gun by changing choke tubes and loads.
Didn't mean any offense. But there is a big difference between any "dedicated gun" and a do it all gun. A waterfowl gun can have a long barrel for a better swing and sight plane. A little more weight helps with the swing and recoil from lots of shooting. An upland gun is well suited with a mid length barrel for balence. A grouse/woodcock gun can be light and whippy for fast snap shooting. Any shotgun can be used for all purposes. I've done it for years. But none will be absolutely ideal for it all. It's like rifles. My 223 can kill deer. I've done it many times. But few would call it a deer gun. I've kill groundhogs with my 300 mag. Few would call it a groundhog gun. As far as my comment on the Benelli, I'm not saying they are not reliable guns. But they are notorious for not shooting to point of aim. Maybe not bad enough to worry about for wing shooting. But turkey hunting ain't wing shooting. And I've never seen a 1600 dollar benelli that patterned better straight out of the box than a 400 dollar mossberg. Not saying that they aren't good guns. But they sure ain't good enough to justify the price in my opinion.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 07, 2017, 10:05:51 PM
Well heck.  I've been using my wingshooting guns all wrong I guess...there are a few dozen turkeys that must have been very disappointed to have been taken by a wingshooting gun.

I can turn my teal gun into a duck, into a goose gun, into a turkey gun by changing choke tubes and loads.
Didn't mean any offense. But there is a big difference between any "dedicated gun" and a do it all gun. A waterfowl gun can have a long barrel for a better swing and sight plane. A little more weight helps with the swing and recoil from lots of shooting. An upland gun is well suited with a mid length barrel for balence. A grouse/woodcock gun can be light and whippy for fast snap shooting. Any shotgun can be used for all purposes. I've done it for years. But none will be absolutely ideal for it all. It's like rifles. My 223 can kill deer. I've done it many times. But few would call it a deer gun. I've kill groundhogs with my 300 mag. Few would call it a groundhog gun. As far as my comment on the Benelli, I'm not saying they are not reliable guns. But they are notorious for not shooting to point of aim. Maybe not bad enough to worry about for wing shooting. But turkey hunting ain't wing shooting. And I've never seen a 1600 dollar benelli that patterned better straight out of the box than a 400 dollar mossberg. Not saying that they aren't good guns. But they sure ain't good enough to justify the price in my opinion.
Good Post....

Tombo

Shoot what makes you happy. Whether It is a Benelli or a Bolivian blunderbuss.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: davisd9 on June 07, 2017, 08:07:47 PM
Quote from: sixbird on June 07, 2017, 07:21:13 PM
Never handled a SBE III but in my opinion, SBE II is the gun all other semi's are measured against. To be honest, I'm surprised that the previous posters have such a negative attitude about them. Mine has operated almost flawlessly since I bought it when they first came out. The only times it didn't operate perfectly was when the recoil spring needed replacing and one other time when I reassembled it incorrectly (that certainly wasn't the gun's fault). Very little maintenance required...I wouldn't own any other semi auto that's made at this time aside from a Browning A-5 and I'd have to think long and hard about that since there are a few design flaws in that gun...

For wing shooting I agree with you, but they are not a turkey gun and it should not take as much to try and make a turkey gun out of one with their price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2 poa/poi pain in the rears imo. I have a Sbe1 and 2 Sbe2s. Great wingshooters,but I personally don't care for mine on turkeys at least without using a scope. Always grab my Encore for turkeys.I will say mine have been very dependable on waterfowl and pheasant.

lunghit

Sold my SBE2 but I will say it was an amazing and very dependable gun. It through a great pattern on target with just the bead sight. All my Benelli's have been very dependable over the years. My dedicated turkey gun right now is a Winchester but I have an old Benelli M1 being worked on right now that will join the SX3.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

sixbird

Quote from: davisd9 on June 07, 2017, 08:07:47 PM
Quote from: sixbird on June 07, 2017, 07:21:13 PM
Never handled a SBE III but in my opinion, SBE II is the gun all other semi's are measured against. To be honest, I'm surprised that the previous posters have such a negative attitude about them. Mine has operated almost flawlessly since I bought it when they first came out. The only times it didn't operate perfectly was when the recoil spring needed replacing and one other time when I reassembled it incorrectly (that certainly wasn't the gun's fault). Very little maintenance required...I wouldn't own any other semi auto that's made at this time aside from a Browning A-5 and I'd have to think long and hard about that since there are a few design flaws in that gun...

For wing shooting I agree with you, but they are not a turkey gun and it should not take as much to try and make a turkey gun out of one with their price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be smart but I bought mine as a dedicated turkey gun and I couldn't imagine liking one more for that purpose. They're light to carry. They handle well, and they produce a very good pattern with a little experimentation (as do others).They're pretty much bullet proof and the design is both pleasing to the eye and exceptionally functional...
To each his own of course but to me, there's not a better all around turkey gun...

sixbird

I hear people complain about poa/poi but I never had that problem with mine. I did set it up properly with the shims supplied...
To me the 870's seem like clubs. Winchesters don't have a great rep. regarding function. Mossbergs have been prone to breakage. Brownings are heavy and awkward...So, seems like every gun has it's drawbacks. Have I insulted everyone yet? ;^)
As soon as I picked up the SBE II I knew I had to have one. Now, I know everybody has their "one love..." That's why everyone isn't after grandma'...And I understand that but bashing the Benelli's and saying they lack function is just inaccurate...

spaightlabs

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 07, 2017, 10:05:51 PM

Point well made and I agree with a lot of it.

Happy

My theory is that the shooter is more important than the brand of shotgun. There are plenty of guys with run of the mill 870's and 500's that can hang with men shooting much more expensive guns. Familiarity is a wonderful thing. If you use a single shotgun for many years you will be more effective than the fellow dragging out a new gun every day.
Buy what you want and train yourself to the gun. Once it hits where the sights are lined up then the rest is up to you.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WVhuntEER

I appreciate all the responses.   Quite honestly, I am a little surprised by negative ones but I'm glad to hear it before making a decision.  I should have said from the beginning that I currently use a Supernova with a steady grip and it is a straight up killer.  It patterns awesome.  My dad has the same setup and we both have talked about getting an auto just for the occasion that you need that quick follow up shot on a bird.  More of a want than a need. lol    My gun gets the job done fine.   My buddy picked up a Sx4 and he loves it but I worry a little on reliability.  The price tag is a lot better though.

sixbird

Quote from: WVhuntEER on June 08, 2017, 12:12:26 PM
I appreciate all the responses.   Quite honestly, I am a little surprised by negative ones but I'm glad to hear it before making a decision.  I should have said from the beginning that I currently use a Supernova with a steady grip and it is a straight up killer.  It patterns awesome.  My dad has the same setup and we both have talked about getting an auto just for the occasion that you need that quick follow up shot on a bird.  More of a want than a need. lol    My gun gets the job done fine.   My buddy picked up a Sx4 and he loves it but I worry a little on reliability.  The price tag is a lot better though.

I'm in the camp that you buy a gun for life...It's like a marriage but you can, if necessary, let it go without a lawyer. Similarly, if you choose wisely the lawyer or the sale won't be necessary...

deadbuck

How many single gun guys are out there? I usually kill with 3-4 different guns every year. Start off with my longest range killer at beginning of season with no foliage, and as things green up change to a shorter range setup. I have owned 2 SBE2 guns, one shot high and right, the current one shoots dead on. I would not pay $1700 for a SBE3 without the chance to shoot it one time with a turkey load and choke to check POI.