OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call collecting....Am I crazy?

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, April 13, 2011, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

Not sure how your guys do it.   I try but I feel so bad for those calls just sitting there lifeless.  Wanting so bad to sign for a crowd but limited to the poorly lit practice rooms.  There highlight of there life is getting that front row seat until a prettier lookin or talkin gal comes along.

I have tried but and up getting rid of calls I have no time for.  I feel I neglect them and send them to happier pastures and woods.

Am I crazy or are there others out there?

flydowntn

I agree. I want my calls to be the front row of a dirtnap. That does it for me. But also I know some will be for just looking at. So we can just keep tuening them aand let people use them how they want. Your calls are awesome to look at and cant blame no one who doesnt hunt with them.

Shane
S. P. Game Calls

VanHelden Game Calls

I am just wondering if there are others that have a hard time collecting. 

I try but after 1 yr of no or little use I find myself needing to get rid of it.  I an envious of the collections some have but I find everytime I start I end up liquidating.

Am I the only 1 who has a commitment problem with turkey calls?

cleanslate

I have a hard time collecting as well. My reason's due do being broke most of the time though. There are some absolutely goregious, exquisite, pieces of craftsmanship out there. And I guess it's just like anything else. A person would not go out and buy some beautifully engraved truly custom rifle for thousands of dollars only to take it out into the woods to risk something damaging the hard work and craftsmanship that was put into making that gun worth as much as they paid for it. No, instead they would put that one on display in a nice cabinet and buy something less extravigant. I understand where you're coming from though. At the end of the day a game call or a gun or a vehicle or a (insert whatever here), no matter how extravagent, detailed, or pleasing to the eye, it started out as being made for a purpose.

pappy

I got to tell ya, I collect calls from other callmakers because I enjoy seeing their passion expressed in their work. I know each one of my calls there is a piece of me in it, and so is the case with so many callmakers out there, those who have been making for decades and those who have been in it a week....each one is priceless to me.
I guess that is why I keep them, I won't carry one out, not that they would not work, but I respect their personal value that much. Now, I have calls that were massed produced, lynch, thomas, olt...etc., but they don't hold that "magic" these handcrafted callers do, and they go out every once in awhile, but just like "mads" caller I got, it is in my collection because I enjoy his time and effort he put into it. I reckon, I wil keep collecting callers, never get tired of it...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Trevor2

I'm on the fence on this subject, which is y I have yet to purchase a custom pot call. I look at it like this, they took the time and craftsmanship to make it to the best of their ability to call in turkeys, and as beautiful as they may be, thats their purpose, but I also dont wanna take something that gorgeous out in the woods either. But, in respect for the call maker, it would be hard not to at least call one bird in with it. lol I have a dilema
Strutstopper

VanHelden Game Calls

Pappy maybe I just need to socialize more.  I would think if I had face to face some calls would have more meaning. 

Now I have some out there that I would hope could find there way to the bottom of a swamp. :P  I am embarrassed what I have made in the past, even though it was my heart and soul at the time.

lmbhngr

I`ve been collecting for several yrs. now and 90% of my calls have been in my vest. If your selling I`m always interested!!! ;D

bowhunter84

i dont have a call that i wont carry to the woods

cannonball

You can always send them to me and I will show them love. :biggringift:

NCBigShot

Quote from: cannonball on April 13, 2011, 09:08:10 PM
You can always send them to me and I will show them love. :biggringift:

...X2!... Madarchery... Have you cruised the call collector thread below and checked out the little party we throw over there every day?... Call collecting can be addictive (true), but it's also a lot of fun and you get to learn so much regarding call makers, regions, woods and materials...not to mention history and value......did I mention it's a lot of fun? :toothy12:
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

West Augusta

I blame NCBigShot for my addiction.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I have talked to some great call makers over the few years that I have been collecting although I had no intention of starting a collection.  Made some good friends and am having a ball.  Look at it this way, there are MUCH worse things that you could spend your money on and I have been there also.  Now my biggest vice is custom turkey calls.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

VanHelden Game Calls

NCbigshot.  I have.  And I love learning about them.  Then I want them.  So I try to start up another collection.  Then I revert back and get rid of them.  Seems in my core I can't have unused clutter.  Only items I keep are those with really special meaning. Not just because its a great item and looks pretty.

I really want to change.  Maybe I should lock them up out of sight.  Then I would not have the urge to clean up :-\

Well it seems I am an odd duck on this forum :TooFunny:

West Augusta

I want to display them all with the "special" ones where I can get to them easily and give them a run every now and then.  I even keep the ones that don't sound so good.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

Now I have some out there that I would hope could find there way to the bottom of a swamp.   I am embarrassed what I have made in the past, even though it was my heart and soul at the time.

I do not know a callmaker that cannot repeat this statement, but you know what....I believe it has a lot to do with collecting, the progress of the callmaker, is a fact that can be backed up by their calls as he or she continues to make calls...you should see my first duck call...much less hear it...and my first couple pot calls well let's put it this way.....there wasn't any turkeys standing in line to reply...it is all about watching the callmaker grow into their place in the callmaking world.
Like NC....it is all a learning process, for the collector and the callmaker...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206