OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Check this out....Rev Farmer

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, June 04, 2017, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

The way he tells stories reminds me of my grandad. Has to act them out to. A good glass of sweet tea and I would be happy for hours.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

nitro

According to Mr. Battey, sometime in the early 2000s. He wasn't quite sure without looking it up.

Quote from: crow on June 05, 2017, 02:54:17 PM
great videos, thanks for posting

what year was each one originally recorded?
Royal Slam 2008

pauld

Quote from: nitro on June 04, 2017, 11:45:57 AM
This one is great too. A post hunt interview down at Bill Jone's place in Sea Island, GA..

Zach is another one of the old school legends that doesn't get the acclaim he deserves.. The new crop of Turkey hunting celebrities can't hold a candle to these men.

FACT.

crow

Quote from: nitro on June 05, 2017, 11:37:44 PM
According to Mr. Battey, sometime in the early 2000s. He wasn't quite sure without looking it up.

Quote from: crow on June 05, 2017, 02:54:17 PM
great videos, thanks for posting

what year was each one originally recorded?

thanks

outdoors

I HAVE TO APPRECIATE THE POST , I WATCHED IT A COUPLE OF TIMES AND LEARNED A COUPLE
THINGS ON HOW To BETTER MYSELF ON THE TRUMPET ....... THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

nitro

Rest assured, the Rev Zach Farmer has killed quite a large number of Gobblers.
Royal Slam 2008

Terry

The old time hunters are impressive in their calling and hunting skills, but what is even more impressive is their genuinely humble personalities. No big ego for the camera, just sincere respect for the animal and the methods used to kill them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nitro

You won't see Zach reaping , fanning , or belly crawling to kill a turkey. Or using one of those ridiculous strutter decoys..

Royal Slam 2008

KentuckyHeadhunter

But those notches!!!!  I'm still amazed.  I counted over 100 and my eyes were crossed.  This is both sides.  I tried to pause and screenshot each side. 
This man is a turkey man.  When men were men that is.

Click to enlarge.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

nsselle

he doesn't use his own trumpets?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: nsselle on June 07, 2017, 08:34:55 PM

He mostly uses his trumpet I think.  That's what's so incredible about that box.  Look at the year it was made in the pic.  His personal trumpet is dubbed "little windy" and if it had notches it would probably look like pencil shavings by now.  ;D
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

nitro

Of course he does.

Doesn't mean he can't successfully run other types of calls in the woods. Zach didn't build his first trumpet until years after he purchased that Lynch in 1962.  IIRC , Zach made his first trumpet sometime around 1980..He still hunts with it to this day.

Royal Slam 2008

nsselle

62? we had turkeys to hunt lol. that's a lot o years.

ccleroy

He does, that old Lynch he has had forever though, among trumpets he has also made box calls and scratch boxes......he is proficient with all callers. He has an old scratch box he made years ago, I was over at his house one night and he pulled it out and was playing it,the most impressive sounding scratch box I've ever heard.

KPcalls

Awesome video's.  I would have loved to been at that table listening to his stories. What a great story teller and humble ole turkey hunter.

There were several things in the two videos that really stood out for me.  The first one starting at 1: 30 in the second video posted about wood types and sound. I've preached the same thing for many years but when I do it usually starts an argument... ;D

The second thing that really stood out was the fact that he played the ole Turpin and the call that Neil made just like he played his own....Hmmm....so, I've spent a lot of time the last couple of days with a trumpet attached to my lips searching for that yelp.