turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEED UR ADVICE ON THIS ...PLEASE

Started by archery1, April 13, 2011, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

DID ANYONE HERE OF BREAKING IN A NEW CHOKE? I MEAN GETTIN A BOX OF CHEAPO 7,8 OR 9 SHOT SHELLS,,SHOOTIN SOME THROUGH UR CHOKE AND THEN PATTERN IT? I WAS TOLD LAST NITE THAT NEW CHOKES SHOOT GOOD BUT WITH MORE SHOTS THROUGH IT THE PATTERNS GET BETTER... ?  I DIDNT NO IF ANYONE HEARD OF THIS OR EVER EXPERIENCED IT FOR THEM SELVES? \
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES
Take a kid hunting

mcgruff1533

Yes, I've noticed that my chokes typically shoot better the more rounds you put through them.     The choke internals get polished by the passing wad columns with each passing shot.

I've found that my chokes have been delivering better patterns after looking at early patterns when new compared to recent patterns.

Of course, it also depends on your individual choke, gun and load, but most combos deliver the best patterns when squeaky clean.  YMMV

allaboutshooting

Quote from: archery1 on April 13, 2011, 10:12:30 AM
DID ANYONE HERE OF BREAKING IN A NEW CHOKE? I MEAN GETTIN A BOX OF CHEAPO 7,8 OR 9 SHOT SHELLS,,SHOOTIN SOME THROUGH UR CHOKE AND THEN PATTERN IT? I WAS TOLD LAST NITE THAT NEW CHOKES SHOOT GOOD BUT WITH MORE SHOTS THROUGH IT THE PATTERNS GET BETTER... ?  I DIDNT NO IF ANYONE HEARD OF THIS OR EVER EXPERIENCED IT FOR THEM SELVES? \
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

Your might find this interesting. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=475

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

I've always said that a choke will only get slightly better with some shots through it if it is a new choke.  But I also have always said if the choke is going to be a good one you will know it from the first shot when shooting good quality ammo. 

Gobble!

Never heard of this seems weird but if its been proven then thats very interesting

VAHUNTER

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 13, 2011, 12:38:27 PM
Yes, I've noticed that my chokes typically shoot better the more rounds you put through them.     The choke internals get polished by the passing wad columns with each passing shot.

I've found that my chokes have been delivering better patterns after looking at early patterns when new compared to recent patterns.

Of course, it also depends on your individual choke, gun and load, but most combos deliver the best patterns when squeaky clean.  YMMV

correct. you hear of this a lot with sleeves in match guns. i have never actually shot up shells to break in a choke. like ILIKEHEVI13 stated buy a quality choke and you will get good patterns from the start
Good things come to those who wait