turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

They make you wonder...

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 24, 2017, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Why did he do that?  Today, I sit on the edge of the field with a DSD jake and upright hen 45 minutes before fly down.  At 5:13 a bird flies into the field 125 yards away and goes into strut.  He stands there for 5 minutes then tucks his wings and walks into the woods.  After a few minutes, he gobbled and was a good distance away. 

I sat there thinking, why didn't he just walk over to check things out.  These birds can make a guy do a lot of thinking.  Maybe tomorrow he will want to die???

GobbleNut

The old saying that "turkeys do what turkeys do" might apply here,...but that is not always the case.  There could be a very good reason for that gobbler's reaction.

Many questions come to mind:  Are you on public or private ground?  More specifically, do you have a good idea of how the birds in that area have been hunted in the past?  Is the practice of setting out decoys regularly used there? 

In short, assuming that "turkeys do what turkeys do" without considering the possibility that they can and will adjust to hunting tactics that they have had negative experiences with in the past is a mistake.  Reactions by turkeys to your hunting methods should be carefully evaluated,...and then adjustments made to suit the situation. 

Sure, tomorrow that same gobbler might come waltzing right in to your set-up,...but I wouldn't bet very many of my morning hunts on that. 

wisconsinteacher

GobbleNut, I understand what you are saying 100%.  I think the reason for his reaction stems from the 3 other birds across the road that were gobbling.  I would bet that his tom has been chased and beat a few times and when he saw the red headed jake decoy, decided to walk away and not fight.  I truly believe that he is not a dominate bird and that is why he didn't gobble, just strutted a few minutes then left the area.

I'm going to go after that group of 3 today after work.

Greg Massey

So how long did you hunt ? reason i ask is sometimes you have to have a lot of patience's and stay longer in your setup... for the boys to come looking for the girls... i don't think you showed enough patience's if you hunted from 5 : 15 until posting this at 9:30....you best hunting time is mid mourning until 2 clock or so... in my opinion ...good luck.....just have more patience's ...

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nsselle

If I read this correctly he had to work so was limited to time in the woods.

My guess is that bird may come back around 12 to look for you again. But who really knows, its turkey hunting and its fun.

wisconsinteacher

Yep, had to be at school by 8:00 this morning, my coworker is out ill so I had to cover an extra class.  No big deal, I hunt when I can sneak out even if it is a short hunt.  I'm planning on going after my staff meeting today. 

I agree it is fun and that is why I go!!!

M Sharpe

Leave the jake in the truck!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

appalachianstruttstopper

I would set up in the woods tomorrow where he went in the woods this morning without a decoy and see what happens. Seems to me he was comfortable walking in there when he was uncomfortable with what he seen in the field. There is times a Turkey will walk a hundred yards to avoid a decoy including a Lone Jake or hen.

JK Spurs

I was in a blind last week and had a decoy set up in front of me. The gobbler came up behind me, sounded to be about 30 yards and I couldn't see him. I know he was close enough to see my hen decoy but he turned around and went down over the hill gobbling. I guess he was saying come with me but of course my decoy just stood there doing nothing. Lol
I like my turkey well peppered

VaTuRkStOmPeR

He literally sat in one spot for over 3 hours and the gobbler left him!  When a gobbler shows you he isn't going to finish and then proceeds to gobble telling you where he wants to be, it's time to leave the decoys and go hunt him.  I realize the OP didn't have time on this particular day, but knowingly sitting in a spot after a gobbler leaves you is foolish when you do have ample time to continue the hunt.

Roost that bird tonite, disown the decoys or blind, get up 45 minutes earlier and sneak within 60 yards of that birds roost in the timber. Kill him within 5 minutes of flydown. That's turkey hunting. Not sitting in a field letting the decoys do all the work.

There was a great thread about patience earlier this week and I can assure you the guys who replied about taking the hunt to the bird fill a lot more tags, a lot faster than these boys telling you to take up a squatter settlement on a field and wait all day.

Greg Massey

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 24, 2017, 08:35:00 PM
He literally sat in one spot for over 3 hours and the gobbler left him!  When a gobbler shows you he isn't going to finish and then proceeds to gobble telling you where he wants to be, it's time to leave the decoys and go hunt him.  I realize the OP didn't have time on this particular day, but knowingly sitting in a spot after a gobbler leaves you is foolish when you do have ample time to continue the hunt.

Roost that bird tonite, disown the decoys or blind, get up 45 minutes earlier and sneak within 60 yards of that birds roost in the timber. Kill him within 5 minutes of flydown. That's turkey hunting. Not sitting in a field letting the decoys do all the work.

There was a great thread about patience earlier this week and I can assure you the guys who replied about taking the hunt to the bird fill a lot more tags, a lot faster than these boys telling you to take up a squatter settlement on a field and wait all day.
:TooFunny:

Ihuntoldschool

Too much reliance on decoys.   Just call him to you and kill him. 

wisconsinteacher

Well, I didn't go after that bird today but the ones across the road and was able to hammer a nice 2 year old tom. 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 25, 2017, 02:22:26 PM
Well, I didn't go after that bird today but the ones across the road and was able to hammer a nice 2 year old tom.

Congrats and well done.