turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

first of fifteen!

Started by socalturkeyman, April 12, 2011, 08:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalturkeyman

Here are the first two of 15 I'll be making. I need to make some strikers for them. I'll be selling these as soon as I make those strikers. thanks for looking.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

cleanslate

Nice, what kinds of woods are they?

socalturkeyman

The guy at the lumber yard told me that it was cedar but I dont think it is. But he also said that it was used for fence post. So Im not to sure,BUt they sound great. I've had a few ppl stalk up to me thinking I was a real hen using them.

The Strikers that sound the best are made out of oak.

Bonjour

That looks more like douglas fir to me, or pine. Nice looking calls though.  :icon_thumright:

culpeper

Ryan, I was thinking the same thing...if it was doug fir the grain would/should be straighter so this looks like pine of some sort.  I am making a couple boxes out of some great super straight grain old growth doug fir--they usually turn out very nice.

MarkJM

What type of sound does a pine scratcher make? sharp, dull, loud, quiet?
MuellerCustomCalls

socalturkeyman

thats what the guy called it Douglas fir cedar. BUt i never heard of a douglas fir cedar before. Ive heard of cedar and douglas fir, But never a douglas fir cedar. lol well any ways Its got a big range in sound actually. It can be really soft or super loud if you want it to be. And the ones ive made are raspy with a good roll over. Purrs are out of this world with this type of call and wood.

cleanslate

I was thinking some sort of evergreen. The first bowl that I ever turned was was out of a piece of a hemlock barn beam and the grain looked very similar.

smurf

It could be douglas fir but I'd bet against cedar.  The guy at the lumber yard has no clue if he thinks fir and cedar are the same. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

bowhunter84