OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

the effects of polishing

Started by VAHUNTER, February 10, 2011, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

before i ever polished my barrel i was getting around 170 to 180 in a 10" at 40yds.
after the first polish job my pellet count jumped up to 211 at 40yds with the same load.

seeing the results i wanted to see if i polished again if my pattern  would stay the same or show even more improvement. so i polished again.
and the #'s made another great jump to 238 at 40 with the same load.

mossberg 835 24"barrel .670 PG
H13 21/4oz 3.5" #6's

i'm not saying that every barrel will respond to polishing the way that mine has. i have seen others that did. and have seen (some)improvements in all of the barrels that i have polished. so if your on the fence and not sure if it will help your patterns ?? don't be. you can not over polish a barrel
Good things come to those who wait

devin4484

If you have this great of a pattern at 40, what is it like at 20?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: devin4484 on February 10, 2011, 08:42:16 PM
its really great  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
but at 10yds you better shoot it like a rifle

devin4484

:icon_thumright:I bet.  Aim small miss small

Skeeterbait

Pretty reflective of mine also. The 835's benefit well from polishing.  With Winchester XRHD 3.5" #6 I went from the 180-190s to 225 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pullit

your results match mine very closely. I found after polishing at least 6-8 barrels (for myself) that I gained at least 15% but most of the time it was closer to 20% increase in hit counts.

VAHUNTER

no bird sneaking through that Skeeterbait  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: great pattern

runngun

About 3 years ago I bought a barrel polisher (fine)and oil from Brownells after reading about polishing and results yal were getting. And wow once again yall were right. It flat out works, if you want to make your gun pattern better this will do it, no matter the load.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tom Foolery

That is a good question and one that gets asked a lot.  A friend told me one day that my gun putting 200 in a 10" at 40 would be MUCH tighter than his gun putting 110 in a 10" at 40, so we shot them at 20yds.  I was shooting hevi and he was shooting lead.  The patterns looked nearly identical, just one big wad of pellets.  Pretty much any gun with a turkey choke is going to be very tight at 20 and in.

n2deer

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 11, 2011, 08:57:33 AM

That is a good question and one that gets asked a lot.  A friend told me one day that my gun putting 200 in a 10" at 40 would be MUCH tighter than his gun putting 110 in a 10" at 40, so we shot them at 20yds.  I was shooting hevi and he was shooting lead.  The patterns looked nearly identical, just one big wad of pellets.  Pretty much any gun with a turkey choke is going to be very tight at 20 and in.

I agree with this.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I can't verify the improvements achieved from other methods of barrel polishing mentioned on OG but I can attest to the improvements I gained using Shawn's process.

Prior to polishing I was shooting in the 150's at 40 yards with a 10" circle.

After two hours of polishing, my gun now shoots 270-280 with nitros.

I plan on applying the same process to my 870 super mag within the next couple of weeks.

bowhunter32

going to polish 2 935 barrels and an 870 20 youth..very xcited to c results!!!!!!!!!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

VAHUNTER, that is great info right there.  I agree with you that you can't over polish a barrel.  That is a very good pattern with 6's.  It don't get much better than that.  Those Pure Gold chokes are great chokes. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Skeeterbait, your pattern with that .675 Indian Creek BDS is what finally made me decide to buy one for my 835 even though I don't need it since the Star Dot choke does more than most chokes with Hevi-13 loads.  But I have been wanting one for awhile now.  Your pattern was my inspiration that triggered my finally buying one.  I'll let you know soon how it does.  I am sold on Indian Creek chokes.  I now have 3.