turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hen

Started by chadly, May 12, 2017, 06:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

We had a bearded hen that was a regular on our piece of property a couple seasons ago  She got a pass a few times.  It's never something I personally wanted to shoot.

Forked lighting

Legal in n.c

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Sometimes hunters don't let the gobbler separate enough from hens and they end up as collateral damage. I know a guy who turned himself in for that. That could be what happened to the hen Cottonmouth found.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Neill_Prater

Seems a similar thread arises at least once a year. Bearded hens are not legal in some states (like here in MO) to encourage hunters to kill one, they are considered legal to avoid penalizing someone who makes an honest mistake and shoots a bird based on seeing a beard, then finds out it is indeed a hen, not a gobbler. I can't imagine anyone purposely targeting one during spring season, legal or not.

tha bugman

Pretty neat when you see one!  Its a little something extra God gives us on the hunt!   :smiley-char092:

appalachianstruttstopper

I have never seen 1 while hunting. In our area I have only heard of 1 being killed and that was 30 years ago. Funny thing is I was visiting Missouri last week where my son graduated from boot camp at fort leonard wood and the only Turkey I saw was a bearded hen lol.

THattaway

I have video of 4 bearded hens (possible 5th) in the same group with several other hens and two toms. Filmed them this past March. It's a genetic trait and where you see one you will often see others, at least in my experience.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Bowguy

I've seen them but never had a shot. I'd never make an excuse to shoot one

BillBlanks

I was in a similar spot as you a few years ago.  Had a rough season and it was getting late.  A bearded hen cruised by and I decided to let her walk.  The good karma went a long way and a few hours later I was rewarded with the double in my avatar picture.  I think you did the right thing letting her go.