turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hen

Started by chadly, May 12, 2017, 06:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

I saw my first one today.  Beard was long.  I would guess 7 inches.  It was not near as thick as a tom's though.  I'm having a really rough go of the season and I've not shot a bird as of yet.  However, I could not shoot hen in the spring.  I know most of you would have let her go as well.  Have you seen one?

J-Shaped

Usually see at least one somewhere every year, and have seen some over the years with some pretty respectable beards. In some areas they seem to be more common than others.

Wvgobbler

Yeah I have seen two. Both in the spring time the one stayed on my uncles farm I would see her in his wheat/ oat field all spring and summer but she always dissapered in the fall. But would be right back the next spring I haven't seen her this year but seen her for 3 years.

WiLL B

I saw a bearded hen this morning with 7 quail sized poults in South Mississippi. I've seen a good many over the years in several states. But this was the first one I've seen with poults.

fallhnt

I havn't seen one this year but if I did I would shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

Good on you for passing on her.  I hope Karma shines on you.

I have seen many.  They are pretty common most places I hunt. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

M Sharpe

Quote from: guesswho on May 12, 2017, 07:25:14 PM
Good on you for passing on her.  I hope Karma shines on you.

I have seen many.  They are pretty common most places I hunt.

Ditto

I've seen several of them; however, bearded hens are not leagle in GA!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

spaightlabs

Quote from: fallhnt on May 12, 2017, 07:10:26 PM
I havn't seen one this year but if I did I would shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hell yeah, who needs more turkey eggs on the ground.  Turkey is like 2.99 a pound at the store...

ol bob

I have one behind my shop that has a beard that most toms would be proud of.

Cottonmouth

Bearded hens are pretty common around here. Would never shoot one cause its still a hen.

TauntoHawk

I don't even shoot hens in the fall, never have never will. Don't like eating wild turkey enough I guess

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TRG3

During the last Southern Illinois spring turkey season, I had a hen about 20' from me. She was clucking, etc. in an attempt to locate the "hen" that was just making those calls. While she didn't have a beard, I noticed how much smaller she was than a gobbler. She wouldn't make much of a meal. In addition, she just might have a clutch of eggs that would produce one of my next gobblers in a couple of years. I really doubt that I would ever shoot a hen because of those reasons.

chatterbox

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 13, 2017, 11:31:45 AM
I don't even shoot hens in the fall, never have never will. Don't like eating wild turkey enough I guess

This^^^^^^^^
I cannot bring myself either. I just can't do it, no matter bearded in the spring (even though they're legal), or one in the fall. Just feels wrong to me.

Cottonmouth

Quote from: chatterbox on May 13, 2017, 03:02:11 PM

This^^^^^^^^
I cannot bring myself either. I just can't do it, no matter bearded in the spring (even though they're legal), or one in the fall. Just feels wrong to me.
I found a hen carcass this spring that somebody breasted out. They even took the fan. I've never been that hard up to say I got one this weekend. 

chatterbox

Quote from: Cottonmouth on May 13, 2017, 04:41:03 PM
Quote from: chatterbox on May 13, 2017, 03:02:11 PM

This^^^^^^^^
I found a hen carcass this spring that somebody breasted out. They even took the fan. I've never been that hard up to say I got one this weekend.
Disgusting........