OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Soft Caller

Started by grayfox, May 10, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

Looking for some suggestions for a soft caller that would be excellent for soft clucks & purrs. I was thinking maybe I should get another Lynch Jet Slate or Dad's Doo Dad Slate Call. Or would a trough call be better. I know the Woodhaven & Sadler McGraw cluck'n purr pots are great but the thickness of them make them not fit in my vest without fear of busting them. I'd appreciate all your input on the ones you like the best. Thanks

idratherb

I call roger parks and get his tree talker or just his plain flat piece of slate, also a trough is nice.

SFCSNOW

Sneed's Tree Talker is sweet. Actually any of his calls can be toned down. I have an old homemade trough with aluminum playing surface that is the absolute sweetest when they are in close. I've been thinking about trying some of the troughs that are made today to see how they compare.

West Augusta

Get a softer wood striker.
Cherry, Maple, Walnut, Sycamore, Butternut etc.  They will tone down the pot calls that you already have.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hunter22

I carry a Roger Parks Tree Talker on every hunt.

Prohunter3509

2nd sneeds tree talker it's definitely a soft talker

adkmountainken

John Tanners Trough call is AWESOME!

MikeStaten

Quote from: adkmountainken on May 10, 2017, 08:08:52 PM
John Tanners Trough call is AWESOME!

This.

However, I just got a wynne persimmon slate that plays the soft stuff really well too. 

The nice thing about the trough is that it still sounds good if you lay it on the ground next to you and play with one hand.

grayfox

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm gonna have to give it some thought.

Bowguy

Schafers tear drop or Tanners trough call

grayfox

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna try the Tanners trough call. I've never had a trough call before so that will be new to me.

Forked lighting

Trough call David Haggerman makes a good one

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Coop1082

X2 on the Tanner's trough
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

M,Yingling

scratch up small spot on the back of  a wood pot makes for great soft talk 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey