turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trick out my 835 ultimag

Started by Tidewater Tom, May 09, 2017, 05:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidewater Tom

I have noticed that there's a following of sorts for the Mossberg 835 ultimag among members here.  I've had my old 835 in storage for years.  I purchased it the first year they came out, back in the early 90s I think.  I want to turn it into a turkey gun.  It's a plain gun, blued with wooden stock and forearm.  It has a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad.  Give me some opinions on how you would "trick-out" this gun.

I know I want it to be camo.  Not sure which way to go on that.
I know I want to put a sling on it. I can handle that.
I know I want to mount a Burris FFlll on it.  Not sure the best way to mount.
I know I want a Bone Collector or SXX choke per reading the threads here.
May go with an aftermarket stock with pistol grip.  Pros and cons of that?  Brands?
Educated beyond my intelligence...

dirt road ninja

Rattle can paint
Williams or tru-glo sights
Indian Creek choke
Hevi 13 2.25 ounce load of 7's

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

grousec

I just bought a pistol grip stock for my 835 from Midway (it looks a lot like the pistol grip from Mossberg that they put on some 935 & 930 models), and I plan to have it dipped to match.  Already added a HS Strut V-Pod.  Camo is a personal opinion, I don't
care for the bottomland look, like obsession & xtra green.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Tidewater Tom on May 09, 2017, 05:34:46 AM
I have noticed that there's a following of sorts for the Mossberg 835 ultimag among members here.  I've had my old 835 in storage for years.  I purchased it the first year they came out, back in the early 90s I think.  I want to turn it into a turkey gun.  It's a plain gun, blued with wooden stock and forearm.  It has a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad.  Give me some opinions on how you would "trick-out" this gun.

I know I want it to be camo.  Not sure which way to go on that.
I know I want to put a sling on it. I can handle that.
I know I want to mount a Burris FFlll on it.  Not sure the best way to mount.
I know I want a Bone Collector or SXX choke per reading the threads here.
May go with an aftermarket stock with pistol grip.  Pros and cons of that?  Brands?

Ditto DR Ninja on the rattle can.

I'm assuming that the original model was drilled and tapped as most since have been.  If that assumption is met, use a 336 saddle mount (lower profile than pic rail) for the Burris FF3. Picatinny rail is ok too and cheaper...

SSX choke or an IC .675 (depending on what you plan to shoot through it) are hard to beat provided they are coupled with a sighted in red dot or equivalent.

Forget the pistol grip.  PITA (think extra motion) when using a tang safety.  Requires you to move your thumb from underneath the receiver to it's top.  With a conventional stock, your thumb (for normal people) is proximate to the tang safety.  Pistol grips are great for trigger guard safeties.

Replace the trigger spring. Any number of manufacturers...

Kill turkeys.

Tidewater Tom

Unfortunately mine isn't tapped:-[  How do I get that done?  Machinist?  Gunsmith?  It's aluminum so it shouldn't be too hard, right???
Educated beyond my intelligence...

Spurs Up

Quote from: Tidewater Tom on May 09, 2017, 08:07:59 PM
Unfortunately mine isn't tapped:-[  How do I get that done?  Machinist?  Gunsmith?  It's aluminum so it shouldn't be too hard, right???

Any semi-reputable gunsmith in your area should be able to drill and tap the gun for you at an affordable price. To mount an FF3 you won't need a full length rail that would otherwise require 4 holes. Instead, explore a 336 mount or using one piece of a two piece, rail mount. Then again, there's always the option of a saddle mount...

tha bugman

Take it to the woods and turn it into a killer! :drool:

PEHunter

If you haven't done so already, I would start with a the load and choke combination.  Make sure it shoots the way you want it too first, then start tricking it out.  You can find all kinds of options on here.  Check out the Turkey Gun Picture Thread.

Double B

.675 choke, quake sling, dead ringer beard buster sight, Win Longbeard XR 6's.  Deep clean the barrel (search the forum if needed)   No need to drill and tap imo, lots of good sights.   I have Aimpoint comp m2 on an 835 and it's heavy.  Have also run a 2x scope.  Very accurate shooters when dialed in. 
Followed by buzzards

FL-Boss

Depending on how much you want to do -   just keep in mind the costs of drill/tap, camo dip, tactical stock, scope, etc ... you may be better off selling that gun and buying a brand new mossberg that already has all that stuff.  I just got this this gun for a backup - it also has the LPA trigger.   http://www.mossberg.com/product/535-ats-turkey-lpa-trigger-red-dot-combo-45242/

But I did change the Truglo for a Burris FF3

stinkpickle

Quote from: PEHunter on May 11, 2017, 07:55:19 AM
If you haven't done so already, I would start with a the load and choke combination.  Make sure it shoots the way you want it too first, then start tricking it out.  You can find all kinds of options on here.  Check out the Turkey Gun Picture Thread.

This. ^^^

PEHunter

Quote from: PEHunter on May 11, 2017, 07:55:19 AM

I forgot to include deep cleaning the bore to this.  I have a late '90s model, and it made a noticeable improvement in the pattern for it.