turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call differences question

Started by RiverRoost, May 03, 2017, 10:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I have a primos heartbreaker box call and it has a purple heart lid and I think mahagony box but I'm really eyeing a Halloran box like the purple heart and cedar. Will there be much difference in sound between these two to justify buying?

S.C.C

yes,your Primos has more of a younger hen sound we're as the Holloran is more of a old raspy hen

tha bugman

different woods different tones different turkeys

Greg Massey

Quote from: tha bugman on May 04, 2017, 10:01:40 AM
agree and during the season i like to mix my calls up to not sound like the same hen running around all season in the same woods...i leave some of my calls at home and change them up during the season, that's why it's best to buy good calls...

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 04, 2017, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on May 04, 2017, 10:01:40 AM
agree and during the season i like to mix my calls up to not sound like the same hen running around all season in the same woods...i leave some of my calls at home and change them up during the season, that's why it's best to buy good calls...

Yup :agreed:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

RiverRoost

Very seldom do I run a box but really want this Halloran box

TauntoHawk

Quote from: RiverRoost on May 04, 2017, 03:42:11 PM
Very seldom do I run a box but really want this Halloran box
I really wanted one too this year ended up trading a box for another box and that box for the Halloran purpleheart/cedar with splayed maple end caps.

I like it, it's smaller than a normal short box by about 3/4in runs easy doesn't seem to hardly require chalk to run great either. It was the main box I ran out in Nebraska as I wanted something high pitch and finish raspy. Got a few others I really like but it does see vest time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

appalachianassassin

ive got a heartbreaker that sounds as good as any box ive ever heard. but anything you buy from Halloran will be nothing short of stellar.

LaLongbeard

Anything made from wood will have different tones even with the same wood let alone different woods .I have an old Quaker boy box call from my first season of hunting I've called in or had more Gobblers answer that box than all the mouth calls slates crystals custom and off the shelf combined. I called a young hen to 10 yards a couple years ago and her yelps and cutts sounded exactly like this old box we called back and forth for awhile every time she walked off Id yelp again and shed come right back and answer.I guess this box sounds exactly like a young hen to the gobblers as well.I bought 3 more same store same brand same wood but non sound like the first I gave up trying to figure it out,Im just carefull keeping it dry and not sitting on it. So I guess my point is custom or not you have to find the box call with the right wood/pitch that sounds right to the gobblers not necessarily to you.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

Absolutely will sound differnt.  Differnt woods, differnt call dimensions, and differnt tune.   Both are good calls.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cut N Run

Quote from: Phillipshunt on May 06, 2017, 12:34:38 PM
Anything made from wood will have different tones even with the same wood let alone different woods .I have an old Quaker boy box call from my first season of hunting I've called in or had more Gobblers answer that box than all the mouth calls slates crystals custom and off the shelf combined. I called a young hen to 10 yards a couple years ago and her yelps and cutts sounded exactly like this old box we called back and forth for awhile every time she walked off Id yelp again and shed come right back and answer.I guess this box sounds exactly like a young hen to the gobblers as well.I bought 3 more same store same brand same wood but non sound like the first I gave up trying to figure it out,Im just carefull keeping it dry and not sitting on it. So I guess my point is custom or not you have to find the box call with the right wood/pitch that sounds right to the gobblers not necessarily to you.

^^^ Quoted for truth.  I've got a Quaker Boy boat paddle that turkeys really respond well to.  I also bought 5 more just like it hoping to get a good back-up.  I'm fortunate that one of the back-ups sounds just like the original.  I don't feel quite right unless I have that call with me.  It does most of the heavy lifting and gives me confidence.

I gave two of the "not quite" back-ups to friends who have had success with them, so it's not like they sound horrible.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.