OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roberts Poplar or Zebrawood?

Started by Coop1082, April 18, 2017, 07:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

My next purchase is going to be from Brad Roberts. They were reccomended to me and I've seen so many good reviews on his calls that I've got give one a go! Between is poplar and zebrawood glass over aluminum, which one does everyone prefer? Different in the tone between the two if you own both?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

SteelerFan

Poplar vs Zebrawood

Zebrawood has a sharper note to it.

Poplar a softer, more mellow note.

Both good. Distinct.

MDTOM84 will jump on here and tell you Blue Mahoe, but he owns them all and can't make up his mind... LOL

;D

vt35mag

Poplar, I think you see very few of them pop up in the classifieds, compared to the zebrawood for a reason.

Happy hooker

I have the zebrawood and it sure is pretty
It would be great if somebody did a Soundfile who owns both,,alternating the two with the same striker on both so we could hear difference.

gergg

I owned the poplar, zebrawood, and black walnut...I preferred the walnut and poplar myself. I will say that the striker makes a big difference too. I always liked the snakewood and Mac Ebony on mine.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Spitten and drummen

My vote is the blue mahoe followed by the zebrawood. They all sound pretty dang good with only a slight variance in sound. All of them will kill birds.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Coop1082

CRUSADERS

[/img]

Coop1082

Think I'm going to roll with the poplar. What strikers are reccomeneded outside of granadillo? I've seen everyone saying that is the preferred striker for the poplar call, but I'm not seeing any available on Brad's website. Anything else that runs well on it?
CRUSADERS

[/img]

SteelerFan

Quote from: Happy hooker on April 18, 2017, 08:03:44 PM
I have the zebrawood and it sure is pretty
It would be great if somebody did a Soundfile who owns both,,alternating the two with the same striker on both so we could hear difference.

Not the best (indoor) but here are both pots with a Torman black locust striker. You can hear the difference in the sharper zebrawood vs the "softer" poplar sound.

Like Spitten and drummen said... they all will work.

Zebrawood:

https://youtu.be/EQLqfDVdqSE

Poplar:

https://youtu.be/ABO-qwWTK1U

SteelerFan

Quote from: Coop1082 on April 18, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Think I'm going to roll with the poplar. What strikers are reccomeneded outside of granadillo? I've seen everyone saying that is the preferred striker for the poplar call, but I'm not seeing any available on Brad's website. Anything else that runs well on it?
When you call and talk to Brad - he'll hook you up with a grenadillo. Macassar ebony is probably my favorite, but it runs well with tulipwood, dymondwood, black locust.

Spitten and drummen

I agree with Steeler Fan. Macassar is my favorite. Tulip wood , snakewood and dymondwood all sound pretty good also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

rbreedi1

Snakewood, Dymondwood, Persimmon, Ebony, Jatoba all sound good on my Poplar.
Thunder Ridge Totes

eorlando

Anyone know what striker this is?? It came with a poplar bronzed glass over aluminum I picked up in the classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OHturkey85