News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sheet metal..for penetration testing

Started by NECKRINGER, April 11, 2011, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Quote from: K9-Doc on April 13, 2011, 11:15:39 PM
I created a chart for individual foot pounds of energy for pellets of lead, hevi, hevi13, and even heavyweight shot if anyone is interested.  It is calculated with most commonly shot velocities and using the formula
1/2mass times velocity squared. Converted from joules to foot pounds of energy.  Of course it pertains to muzzle energy, but very interesting.

have that too, in an excel file.  Common materials in all sizes at various velocities.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

NECKRINGER

I know! LOL
All yalls turkeys are made of paper and have ten inch heads that move to the dense part of the pattern after the shot. LOL
What the heck was I thinking? I must be a complete fool to want to shoot something harder and thicker than paper. Dang me

Gobble!

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 14, 2011, 09:31:26 AM
Neckringer, if you truly limit yourself to 40 yd shots, I don't see why you don't just shoot lead 6s. With a 12 ga at least, it is easy to find a load and choke that will kill 100% of the turkeys 100% of the time at 40 yds as long as you shoot straight.

well said

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 14, 2011, 09:31:26 AM
Neckringer, if you truly limit yourself to 40 yd shots, I don't see why you don't just shoot lead 6s. With a 12 ga at least, it is easy to find a load and choke that will kill 100% of the turkeys 100% of the time at 40 yds as long as you shoot straight.

Exactly!

Sheet metal tells me nothing when shooting turkeys.  Obviously if your shot is going through sheet metal at 40yds that it will easily kill a turkey at 40yds if the pattern density is there and you hit him of course in the head and neck.  I've said this before and I will say it again.  Gelatin mass experts say 1.5" of penetration is needed at 40yds from your shot.  Well I say that is hogwash.  They also say that Hevi-Shot #7' won't cleanly kill a turkey at 50yds and that you will wound some.   Well if you got a gun and choke that will give you the 100 shot density in a 10" with them and you center that pattern over the neck and vertebrae of a bird at 50yds he is going to die.  So the ballistic statiscians are lying to you and need to spend more time shooting turkeys instead of spreading rumors.

PS  I don't care what hevi-shot #7's will do to sheet metal at 40yds by the way.  I just know that it will blow plum through the head and neck of a gobbler at 45yds.

Tom Foolery

Before the crash I think it was ?  that had a very long post comparing many different types of shot and sizes of TSS, Hevi and lead into sheet metal and what percentage of hits passed through etc.  It was well recieved and had many replies, no one was questioning why he did it, I thought it was pretty cool.

Tunaguy

Quote from: K9-Doc on April 13, 2011, 11:15:39 PM
I created a chart for individual foot pounds of energy for pellets of lead, hevi, hevi13, and even heavyweight shot if anyone is interested.  It is calculated with most commonly shot velocities and using the formula
1/2mass times velocity squared. Converted from joules to foot pounds of energy.  Of course it pertains to muzzle energy, but very interesting.

My brain hurts just thinking of this. My formula is: load shell in gun + point at turkeys head x squeeze trigger = turkey dinner.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Reloader

QuoteMy formula is: load shell in gun + point at turkeys head x squeeze trigger = turkey dinner.

That's a good formula.  Thanks for the info.

Reloader

new2turkey

Quote from: Reloader on April 14, 2011, 01:45:27 PM
QuoteMy formula is: load shell in gun + point at turkeys head x squeeze trigger = turkey dinner.

That's a good formula.  Thanks for the info.

Reloader

We all learn great things from this site  :icon_thumright:

jokasr07

Gobble!

guesswho

Quote from: NECKRINGER on April 13, 2011, 10:42:10 PM
I am suprised that there is no data for the hardness of turkey bones and or the force it takes to break it.
I figured with all the data floating around on the web there would have been some avaible.
Dave, pm Oth.  His buddy Tom has all the info on this subject you could ever want, and more. 

Quote from: NECKRINGER on April 14, 2011, 09:10:27 AM
I must be a complete fool
You've convinced me over the years,
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff