turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sheet metal..for penetration testing

Started by NECKRINGER, April 11, 2011, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NECKRINGER

Has anyone figured out what gauge sheet metal is about equal to what it takes to penatrate a turkeys skull or neck bone with consideration of skin and feathers?

If so or if not what gauge sheet metal is most often used for testing penatration?

Thanks

NECKRINGER

all the gun, pattern and shot gurus on here and no body can reccomened what gauge sheet metal or material I need to buy for a penetration test?
hmmm

new2turkey

how can you really compare a turkeys anatomy to sheet metal accurately??

Wasn't this post already responded to who said TSS #8 has enough energy to kill a turkey at 102 yards?

lmbhngr

All the views and only two responses HMMM!! wonder why ???

VAHUNTER

i do not believe there is anyway to compare sheet metal to a turkey. unless they are wearing armore .

using most turkey loads including lead you will have enough penatration to kill futher than your pattern will hold up
Good things come to those who wait

Dwnforce

I seen one last week with a sheet metal suit! :TooFunny:

new2turkey

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 11, 2011, 09:51:40 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:.

The idea that you've presented along with bashing the vast knowledge of the site because they don't know the thickness of sheet metal that will be the minimum standard to kill a turkey...  :bike2:

snapper1982

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 11, 2011, 09:51:40 PM

hey i think we saw the same bird!!!!!  :bike2:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: VAHUNTER on April 11, 2011, 09:46:43 PM
i do not believe there is anyway to compare sheet metal to a turkey. unless they are wearing armore .

using most turkey loads including lead you will have enough penatration to kill futher than your pattern will hold up

Yeppers! 

I started to say the same thing this morning when I saw this, but I thought someone may have done some testing the hardness of turkey heads to sheet metal and had a conversion formula.   :lol:

gobbler336

don't know about sheet metal but i believe it has been said on here before that they need to penetrate 1.5'' of gelatin to be lethal on a turkey an whatever range.

goblr77

Quote from: gobbler336 on April 11, 2011, 10:46:20 PM
don't know about sheet metal but i believe it has been said on here before that they need to penetrate 1.5'' of gelatin to be lethal on a turkey an whatever range.

That's what some have said but if that's correct Hevi 7's will run out of range at 36.5 yards, or something like that. I am one that believes pattern density is as important as penetration. I'm not a math major but I have killed my fair share of birds.

SR1

Find any road sign in the country and try it out on it. From what I have seen over the years everyone sights in on road signs.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

allaboutshooting

I'd recommend that you try some microcrystalline wax. It's very stable and reusable. I've used it for penetration studies and it works very well.

There is even a formula to convert penetration from the wax to ballistic gelatin so you can compare the two.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

NECKRINGER

The last 3 posts on here is what type of info I was looking for. the above ones make me laugh.
I dont care one way or another but have some guns I would like to shoot hevi out of.
I have a personal and may add historical limit of 40 yds. I feel I have not done my job as a hunter with birds that hang up or walk by over that. Yes I know that is my personal limit.

Again I am suprised that there is no data for the hardness of turkey bones and or the force it takes to break it.
I figured with all the data floating around on the web there would have been some avaible. I explained it better and got a better answer on the handload section.
I wish you all
500 pellets in a 12 inch circle at 70 yds 15 years from now.
thanks for the info and sorry for the "bashing"

K9-Doc

I created a chart for individual foot pounds of energy for pellets of lead, hevi, hevi13, and even heavyweight shot if anyone is interested.  It is calculated with most commonly shot velocities and using the formula
1/2mass times velocity squared. Converted from joules to foot pounds of energy.  Of course it pertains to muzzle energy, but very interesting.