OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carlsons 575

Started by savduck, April 02, 2017, 07:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

I got one for my 870. Shot it today 3 times, dirty barrel, and with a lot #3U thats usually shoots 90 to 120 type patterns. I think they are 6s labeled as 7s.

Anyway. This little choke didnt put up huge numbers but it was the most consistant choke ive shot and it throws and awesome little hunting pattern. I got a 110, 115, 120. First shot started with dirty barrel that was just swipped with dry patch. Other two shots were dirty no swipping. Im gonna shoot it with some lot # that puts up bigger numbers and see what it does.

Also shot the haymaker again. First was like the above, had been swipped with dry patch. It shot a 122, 98, then 136. The other day it shot 146. It shoots a decent pattern but that little carlsons is money.
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

I have one for my Sa-08 what are you shooting through it?

savduck

Georgia Boy

BowBendr

I tried them all for my 870 and the Carlsons gave the best hunting pattern, shot after shot.
They are hard to beat for consistency.

SKFOOTER

Flush mount or extended choke?

POSSUM BEND

Quote from: savduck on April 02, 2017, 07:13:09 PM
I got one for my 870. Shot it today 3 times, dirty barrel, and with a lot #3U thats usually shoots 90 to 120 type patterns. I think they are 6s labeled as 7s.

Anyway. This little choke didnt put up huge numbers but it was the most consistant choke ive shot and it throws and awesome little hunting pattern. I got a 110, 115, 120. First shot started with dirty barrel that was just swipped with dry patch. Other two shots were dirty no swipping. Im gonna shoot it with some lot # that puts up bigger numbers and see what it does.

Also shot the haymaker again. First was like the above, had been swipped with dry patch. It shot a 122, 98, then 136. The other day it shot 146. It shoots a decent pattern but that little carlsons is money.

Very similar to my experience.  I shot an old Primos Jellyhead for the last 2 seasons and it killed fine, but the patterns weren't as consistent as I wanted.  40 yard pattern ran from 105 to 131 pellets with HW #7.  The Carlson shot 120, 121, and 122 on the three targets that I counted. Not super tight but very evenly distributed.  Just right.   

Gumby

One of the better hunting chokes out there for the 20 and Fed7s. I personally use a Sumtoy but the Carlsons is great as well

savduck

I have sumtoys in my other two 20ga. I love Williams chokes. This gun has been finicky with them all though.

Ive had it shoot a 180 then a 74 out of the same choke with same lot of shells. Before I polished it i was running an ssx and it averaged in the 150s. Since I polished it nothing has worked. That carlson is the most consistent and that 115 to 130 pattern is my favorite for hunting.

One thing Ive noticed in my three guns. Wad stripping chokes want clean shots, straight constriction chokes want it dirty.
Georgia Boy

owlhoot

180 to 74 !
Good night what did you do  :o?????

savduck

Never shoot that choke again.  Was an Indian creek.

Back then my sumtoy was a 120/130 pattern and ssx was a 150/160 pattern.

Polished the gun a few weeks ago. First shot clean with ssx was a 153. Then every shot after sucked. I bought that haymaker and that Carlsons. The haymaker shoots some good patterns but also crappy. That Carlsons was good every shot and even.

I have a Remington super full hevi shot choke. Gonna try that next, had it three years and never shot it. Maybe getting the gun dirty again will bring up the numbers. I like to get it back up about 130 every shot. That's a wicked pattern with lots of play.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Georgia Boy

owlhoot

Weatherby sa08 20 gauge  and Hevi shot choke 26" barrel.

40 yards
5v lot
Federal Hw7 3"
115-130 in the 10 " clean barrel .
200-210 in the 15" total.

Shot big paper and have 300 shot total on paper so should be 7's.
Also got Hevi 7's at 140 in the 10" and 220 in the 15.
Holes in paper appear a bit smaller with the Hevi shot brand?

dbishop

Shot a Carlson's tube yesterday in an 1100 youth 21" barrel.  I couldn't get a decent pattern out of any of the shells I shot at 40 yards...and I tried a lot of shells.   I shot Fed HW 7s...both 3" and 2 3/4", Winchester Longbeard XR 6s,  Federal 3rd Degree,  Remington buffered magnum 6s, Kent diamond 6s, Winchester Elite HTL 4s.  None of those shells grouped well at 40 yards...none even close to 100 in a 10" circle.  I called Carlson's and spoke with a gentleman who told me they average 150 in a 10" circle with the long beards.  He suggested I try the factory choke to see if the pattern improved any...which it actually did with the longbeards.  I borrowed a Primos jellyhead from a friend last night that I think I'll try tomorrow evening after work.  It looks like that little gun just doesn't like that Carlson's tube all that much. 

WyoHunter

Patterns great in my Beretta 20 ga. with Fed HWT 7's and Hevi-13 7's. Two gobblers shot with this choke and Fed HWT 7's this year.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

coonhunter

I shoot it in my sons 870 youth.  With #7 HW's we get 130 in the 10" at 40 almost every shot.  Not super high numbers but at 20 it is still not to tight and plenty to kill at 40.  No holes in the pattern either!   
Joshua 24:15