OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey gun desired trigger pull

Started by taketheshot, March 29, 2017, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taketheshot

For those of you who tinker with the trigger pull weight, what is your ideal pull for your turkey gun?

I have an 870 that breaks at just over 3 lbs and I can get a great deal on a timney right now. Just wondering if the option of 1.5-3lb adjustment is worth it or should I be sticking with what I have?

kjnengr

How does your current trigger feel to you?  To me, a 3 lb trigger is a good weight for a hunting gun.  I wouldn't want much lighter for a hunting gun.  Of course, I would much rather a crisp 3 lb trigger than one with a lot of creep.

taketheshot

Quote from: kjnengr on March 29, 2017, 03:05:26 PM
How does your current trigger feel to you?  To me, a 3 lb trigger is a good weight for a hunting gun.  I wouldn't want much lighter for a hunting gun.  Of course, I would much rather a crisp 3 lb trigger than one with a lot of creep.

It feels good to me, however I'm always trying to improve. If lowering the pull will be an improvement, I'm open to it. I like my rifles breaking low, just don't know how a turkey gun will feel. I'd hate to buy it only to find out it didn't make much difference or is too low for my liking.

allaboutshooting

It sounds like you have a trigger pull that works for you. I have the "Timney Trigger Fix" on several guns and it's a great product. You can take all the creep out and have a very crisp and light trigger pull. As you know, with the 870 you don't want it so light that chambering a round will cause it to go off.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Duffer58

Several years ago I put a "Timney Trigger Fix" in one of my 870's.  It made such a great improvement (crisp / no creep) I bought 2 more for my other 870's.  It is a great product - you won't be disappointed.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

dirt road ninja

I'd leave it alone. It's not like it's a custom precision rifle. 3 pounds with some creep sounds more than adequate for a turkey gun.

BandedSpur

3-4 lbs with very little creep and I'm happy. All my turkey guns are so adjusted.

taylorjones20

I've had my triggers worked by RR.  I haven't checked the weight but they are nice. They can remove all of the creep on most guns except interia guns. Very little creep on my benellis. I really like the triggers now compared to factory.
Alive only by the Grace Of God