turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advise on nitro ammo please

Started by Fl strutter, March 30, 2017, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarks Hillbilly

Well depending on when your gun was madesigned pretty or post 2009 they brought back their H51013 that works well in both. Or you may go with the H518 for newer models or H517 for older guns. I personally would go with a straight shot shell and I lean towards 7's in HTL.  If you hunt in open country where your shots tend to be longer and easier to miss judge distance go with 6's. I will add that if you haven't patterned your gun a lot you might pick up a box of less expensive shells in 3 and 3.5 to see if it doesn't pattern 3" a little better than the 3.5. Most Remington seem to shoot 3's better. If you had a 835 or 935 or one of the other over bored barrels they all seem to shoot 3.5 shells very well. Just my  :z-twocents: and probably not worth what you paid for it.

eggshell

Nitros have been my shell of choice for several years now. I shoot 3" straight #5s out of a browning classic gold auto loader with a .660 choke . I seldom shoot birds over 30 yards, but in the few cases I have I have not had any walk away! I have probably killed 50 birds in multiple states with these loads and am very pleased. I have not had as much problem with the buffering coming out recently. Back when i did I would take a birthday cake candle and drip a small drop of wax on top of the shell...problem solved!

I have seen a lot of trash talk on the Nitros, but I found out a long time ago that the best approach is shoot your gun and see what works in it. They will all preform differently with variations. So I wouldn't slam LBs, winchester federals or any load, I would say shoot them and see. For instance the winchesters blow up the pattern in my gun, but the Nitros do very well. Now I do not as a rule try to stretch my Nitros, I know what I'm shooting. I see most of the criticism is for beyond 30 yards....it's not often I shoot over 30 yards, so they work well for me. Like I said though when I have pushed them farther I have never had a problem. The take away is there are no magic bullets, do your homework and shoot your gun with multiple loads.