turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advise on nitro ammo please

Started by Fl strutter, March 30, 2017, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

Well I have shot the mag blend 567 for 2 years and liked them but my pattern wasn't great. They hit hard! First year with 7s and was wondering bout nitros. I'll take any advantage I can get!

Old Gobbler

Nitros are a hotter version of standard turkey loads , they perform well , but yes they are "hot" if your not wanting to go full tilt into nitros , hs magnum blends tend to use more larger size pelllets , either load will flat out kill any turkey at 40 yards , if it was me I would ditch both and shoot the federal 7 hw, cheap , easy to get , consistent , and patterns and hit hard

You mentioned tss , be forewarned ....it's not as easy or affordable  as some make it out to be , if you have experience in reloading it's not as complicated, if you have ZERO RELOADING EXPERIENCE, I would recommend you weigh your options carefully cause your gonna need to compile a long list of very specific materials plus reloading equipment that folks just never seem to tally into their end price per shell , ...... the biggest promoters of the product who sell the shot and formulas no longer welcome here for legal reasons for starters ....there other reasons too  it you know what I'm not gonna bother with it at this time --

I will however let you know the tss product does perform well  , but so does countless other 12 gauge  shotshells like you've mentioned at 40 yards also too ....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Fl strutter

Bud I'm new to this forum and don't know or care to know about that I think this forum is great and the people on here also. It's great to be able to ask people their opinions on stuff when u have no clue. Thanks for all the responses. If only the world was full of people like us!

Gobble!

My experience with Nitro was good patterns but after one season of use I had a vest pocket full of buffer. The quality does not match the cost. I have a shell I keep just to show people how bad the seals were. I switched to them after pattern inconsistencies with HeviShot shells. At that point I decided to try TSS. I'll never shoot a factory loaded shell again.

Now that I said that if I did want to shoot Nitro I would shoot straight 7s, larger shot only takes up space.

TheSportsman

I shoot 3" Nitros. They awesome and crumple birds. No signs of over pressure. Primers look good. Shooting in Beretta over and under

sevetts

Quote from: Fl strutter on March 30, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
Not for this year. I prep year round. I absolutely love turkey hunting. What kinds of patterns have yall had with the 457
Win 1300, 3" 4×5×7 hevi shot blend, rhino 660

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

goblr77

Nitros are worth the money. I'm shooting H518 4x5x7 loads in my 835 and SX3. They're flat out nasty on birds. Hevi straight 7s, 6s, and Mag Blends are good as well. I've killed birds with all three but they don't hit like Nitros.

Gobble!

rpinks

I have been shooting nitros for a long time. Was shooting heavy 13 before and have harvested plenty of birds with those. Nitros are a little picky patterning my SBE probobley just my gun. My 935 will shoot most all of them well. I always have 2 turkey guns as i hunt several states and want a back up. When patterning at extended range with freezer paper you can see where the larger shot tends to be in the core. I spend way to much shooting turkey loads but that is what I like to do. The best pattern I ever achieved was with 2oz H521f in a Moss 535. I had to go to 935 due to recoil after shoulder surgery.
Thanks, RP

Fl strutter

Looks like I'll be ordering some 457

stinkpickle

I can't speak to any pressure issues with Nitros, but I can fire those and Win HV's in my 835 back-to-back and not tell any difference in recoil.  It's equally bad for both.  ;)   Of course, I'm not 100% positive that Win HV's aren't "a little hot", either...

Fl strutter

On their Web site it doesn't show what size shot is in each load. How do u know what's what

Ozarks Hillbilly

They custom make your order. Pick the load you want to try and the shot size for straight load or sizes if wanting to try a blend. They have a guide to reference various guns and show their results with loads and chokes.

Fl strutter

Yea for 870 it's saying 457 but I was wondering about a load of 6s and 7s blend

Ozarks Hillbilly

Are you looking to shoot a 3 or 3.5 shell out of your 870?