turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advise on nitro ammo please

Started by Fl strutter, March 30, 2017, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

What would be the best shot or shot combo in nitros? Are they better than hevi shot and worth the extra money? I like using the best ammo I can and would like opinions from those who have used them. Thanks

taylorjones20

They are a good shell. 4x5x7 seems to be the most popular.  What kind of gun are you shooting?
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Fl strutter

Remington sps supermag 12 gauge  20 in. barrel. I have a jebs 665 and indian creek 665. Currently shooting hevishot #7

taylorjones20

I shot Nitro's until I started loading my own TSS.  They are tough on turkeys, and shoulders/jaws. lol

Are you not getting good patterns with the Hevi #7's ?
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Fl strutter

Around 245 in the 10in. But would like the nitro if they patterned better and hit harder

Fl strutter

Would like to try tss but don't reload and I don't know anyone that does or sells them

Tom Foolery

I've shot Nitro's and I've shot Hevi13.  I still shoot Hevi13 #7's.  Other than recoil I couldn't tell the Nitro's were any better.

Fl strutter

If the 4x5x7 nitro patterns as good as the hevi shot #7 they should have more knock down and range being faster and having the bigger shot.

sevetts

I have always shot nitro 4x5x7 blends, they are a fantastic load in both 12 and 20ga. Nitros are absolutely awesome and they provided me with many confident years of turkey hunting, that being said I probably won't be ordering any more just because there are other good options that are cheaper and more readily available. If you are getting 240+ with hevi 7s then you are ready to roll and don't need to look for anything else. Nitros may extended your range some but 240 hevi 7s will kill as far as ya need. I would highly dought you'd be able to get some nitros by the time you needed them for this year anyway.

Bowguy

My advice is don't use em. Had a friend blow 2 barrels n 2 friends w shells sticking in the barrel area so far it required a stick to remove em. Turkey hunting is about hunting/calling not ruining a gun. If you're determined good luck though

Fl strutter

Not for this year. I prep year round. I absolutely love turkey hunting. What kinds of patterns have yall had with the 457

dirt road ninja

I shot the 2 7/16 ounce load of straight 7's. They performed well for me, killed a few birds with them. If I didn't handload I'd still be using them.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Fl strutter on March 30, 2017, 04:18:31 PM
Would like to try tss but don't reload and I don't know anyone that does or sells them

It's not hard at all.

Fl strutter

What load from nitro would yall recommend from experience I usually hunt open fields. What shot and ounce load for 3.5 12 gauge

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Fl strutter on March 30, 2017, 04:32:17 PM
If the 4x5x7 nitro patterns as good as the hevi shot #7 they should have more knock down and range being faster and having the bigger shot.

The chances of any of the 4's or 5's making it to the target is slim to none.  Mixed blended loads giving extra range from the larger shot is great marketing but it's not accurate marketing.

If you need more knock down that Hevi13 7's can give you then you need to buy a rifle.  I made a shot on misjudged yardage well past what we are supposed to talk about on here with Hevi13 7's, far enough it's embarrassing.  They poleaxed that bird, anything extra from Nitro's wouldn't have been noticed.   

Allaboutshootinig posted an article on shotgun shot showing the faster it starts the faster it looses energy/velocity to the difference down range i basically zero.