turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best box call out there?

Started by turkeykiller22, March 29, 2017, 01:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

If your opinion, who is the best box call maker out there? I always like running a box and I am just interested in your opinions.

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Spitten and drummen

There are a whole bunch of great box call makers and the word best can only apply to the one you think is the best or better yet the turkey thinks is best at the time. That being said , here are a few that I personally like and hunt.
1. Richard Hudson hen box
2. Marlin Watkins fiddle box and long box
3. mike Lapp short box
4. Darrin Dawkins short or long box
5. Lamar Williams short box
6. Albert Paul short box
7. Jody Harrison AKA Preacherman short box.
there are many many more but this is my short list of the ones I perfer.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Will

Good question. To me a lot of thought goes into this one for several reasons, playability and versatility. In other words I've played some where the lid  runs so smooth the call dang near runs itself and then there are others where you feel like you have to work the lid. I also look for versatility by range of sound. I have some that by mere cadence and stroke you can manipulate the sound to change maturity or gender. Even from one side of the call to the other.  Calls can be expensive and waiting lists can be long so I have not played some like Lapp, Williams or Mann but put my Watkins at the top. I've played other makers and based on my preference I say Watkins. I have boxes that can go from young jake to mature hen in a matter of difference in stroke. I guess you could say I'm biased based on what I've only played but that just my opinion. I look forward to the responses.

scoot12

the best one i own is a Ed Tefefencko snakewood over chestnut one sider.  Have an Irving Whitt I really like also.  Scoot

CMBOSTC

Here's a few from my favorite call maker and all around terrific guy!!!

SteelerFan

"Here's a few from my favorite call maker and all around terrific guy!!!"

:TooFunny:

They look really nice Chris!

sbbow

Nice looking boxes Chris !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greencop01

My favorite is the one I used to kill my last bird.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Ol Yelper

SS for me. I have several and they're all good. My favorites are a Maple/Walnut and Kwila/Butternut for short boxes and a Bloodwood/Limba for a longbox.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 29, 2017, 05:51:59 PM
"Here's a few from my favorite call maker and all around terrific guy!!!"

:TooFunny:

They look really nice Chris!

:funnyturkey: hehe!